INPATIENT PHARMACY TECHNICIAN II - PERIOPERATIVEApply Now Email Job Current employees click here Job ID: PHA006DC
Position: Inpatient Pharmacy Technician II / Perioperative
Location: Main Hospital / Chapel Hill
Hours: Full Time, 40 hrs/wk
Multiple Positions Available: Days or Evenings
The UNC Department of Pharmacy is seeking a highly skilled Pharmacy Technician to work in the Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) and Perioperative Pharmacy within the Perioperative Pharmacy Team. This technician must demonstrate a high level of expertise and skill as it relates to management of controlled substances in compliance with federal and state laws. This technician has a high level of autonomy in the role but all work is carried out under the supervision of a licensed Pharmacist.
- Preparation and transfers of sterile IV medications under the direction of a pharmacist and in compliance with current regulations and standards
- Screens patient medication orders for accuracy, resolves questions in consultation with licensed pharmacist. Fills, delivers and/or exchanges medication to the respective patient area.
- Prepares controlled substance replenishments of automated dispensing cabinets.
- Processes sales of controlled substances to other DEA registrants.
- Receives purchases of controlled substances from other DEA registrants.
- Works with PYXIS, CII Safe, and other automated dispensing technology to supply correct medications for individual patients, according to pharmacist and physician orders.
- Documents pharmaceutical activities using automated and paper systems. Ensures accuracy of data. Ensures all recordkeeping is in compliance with state and federal laws.
- Reconciles paperwork associated with Pyxis CII Safe and performs monthly reconciliation of controlled substance sales to the ASC.
- Optimizes inventory of controlled substances, including Additions and Deletions of medications within the ASC Pyxis CII Safe.
- Troubleshoots automated dispensing technology as needed to ensure continuity of patient care and pharmacy operations.
- Assists with reconciliation of discrepancies in automated dispensing cabinet inventories throughout perioperative areas. Prepares automated dispensing technology reports as needed.
- Completes inventory counts on a routine basis.
- Controlled Substance Inventory par level optimization
- Schedules quality assurance audits with Controlled Substance Assessment Team to ensure compliance needs are met.
- Communicates drug shortages with ASC anesthesia and ASC nursing staff
- Coordinates with ASC anesthesia & ASC Day Op Management to optimize medication needs and processes
- Assists with training of new technician employees in various responsibilities trains and educates other employees in job-specific functions, including updating the ASC Controlled Substances Staffing Guide
- Assists with training of new technician employees in various responsibilities trains and educates other employees in job-specific functions.
HS diploma or equivalent. Completion of an academic pharmacy technician training program preferred. Registration with the NC Board of Pharmacy. Registration with the NC Board of Pharmacy. CPhT from PTCB unless enrolled in pharmacy school. Prior pharmacy technician experience is preferred.
Primary Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Department: U-23021-PHARMACY INPATIENT OPERATIONS
Shift: Day Job