INPATIENT PHARMACY TECHNICIAN II - STERILE PRODUCTS AREAApply Now Email Job Job ID: PHA006HK
Position: Inpatient Pharmacy Technician II / Sterile Products
Location: Main Hospital / Chapel Hill
Multiple Positions Available
Hours: Full Time, 40 hrs/wk;
The UNC Department of Pharmacy Sterile Products Area is seeking a highly skilled IV Room Pharmacy Technician to work in their multidisciplinary environment utilizing some of the most progressive technologies and facilities for pharmacy practice, including a state-of-the-art clean room, advance use of pharmacy automation, and fully computerized pharmacy systems.
Description of Job Responsibilities
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Preparation and transfers of sterile IV medications under the direction of a pharmacist and in compliance with current regulations and standards
· Demonstrate an understanding of USP 797/800 standards and proper aseptic technique
· Screens patient medication orders for accuracy, resolves questions in consultation with licensed pharmacist
· Performs cleaning and disinfecting of the pharmacy’s clean room and equipment in accordance with the established policy
· Performs receiving, storage, and data entry of medications and materials received from suppliers
· Operates pharmacy automation systems in accordance with department SOPs including, but not limited to Baxa ExactaMix 2400 Compounder and Baxa Repeater Pump
· Documents pharmaceutical activities within automated and paper systems
· Assists with training of new technician employees and students in job specific functions
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Prior IV room experience
· Working knowledge of USP 797/800 regulations and aseptic technique practices
· Ability to work in a team environment
· Initiative to learn new processes and procedures
· Ability to lift 50lbs to chest height
· Ability to endure standing for long periods of time, up to eight hours
· Tolerate working in a clean room environment for up to eight hours
The Department of Pharmacy is a dynamic, integral and critical part of patient care provided by the University of North Carolina Health Care System. Our mission is to provide patient-centered medication management that optimizes outcomes through an alignment of practice, education, research and leadership.
The UNC Department of Pharmacy is an organization of more than 400 people who focus their attention on caring for patients of the UNC Health Care System. We are culturally diverse and have a variety of backgrounds, interests, capabilities and experience.
The Department of Pharmacy has 2 retail pharmacies, a central inpatient pharmacy and several satellite pharmacies to include Pediatrics, Operating Room, Oncology and Investigational Drugs.
The Pharmacy Department has adopted the staff governance model. This model will ensure that staff members are instrumental in the development and implementation of ideas that will directly impact the department’s operations, practice, performance improvement, professional development, and finance.
Progressive Work Environment
· Ranked #50 on Forbes’ list of America’s best employers
· Positive work-life balance with consistent, reliable scheduling
· Opportunities for advancement
· Lean Six Sigma quality improvement training and participation
· Free continuing education courses
· Generous paid time off policy & guaranteed vacations
· Competitive pay & benefits package
· Tuition waiver & reimbursement programs
The Certified Technician provides support to the pharmacist by reviewing, compounding and dispensing medications. All work is carried out under the supervision of a licensed Pharmacist.
HS diploma or equivalent. Completion of an academic pharmacy technician training program preferred. Registration with the NC Board of Pharmacy. Registration with the NC Board of Pharmacy. CPhT from PTCB unless enrolled in pharmacy school. Prior pharmacy technician experience is preferred.
Primary Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Department: U-23021-PHARMACY INPATIENT OPERATIONS
Shift: Evening Job