REVENUE CYCLE FINANCIAL REPRESENTATIVE - FINANCIAL COUNSELORSApply Now Email Job Job ID: FIN003KF
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position may involve support of various hospitals and health care systems within the UNC Health Care System, but will be employed by Rex Hospital, Inc. (this includes, but is not limited to, for purposes of payroll, health benefits, retirement options, and applicable policies). Employees of an entity managed by UNC Health Care are external candidates and will be employed by Rex Hospital, Inc. if selected for the role.
Responsible for performing a variety of complex pre-services, financial counseling and customer service related functions for patients and/or their representative including pre-service estimates, collection of pre-payments, collection of prior debt, obtaining authorizations, addressing billing questions, establishing payment plans, screening for financial assistance, responding to MyUNC Chart inquiries and other Customer Service requests for both hospital and physician services.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
• Create Hospital and Physician estimates using the Epic Patient Estimator, review eligibility and benefits utilizing RTE, and obtain authorization requirements.
• Contact patient pre-service providing benefit and patient liability education, explain the estimate cost, and attempt to secure payment and/or set expectation of payment at time of service.
• Provide estimates to patient shoppers and clinical areas across the healthcare system. Work with clinical areas to create estimate templates, determine workflow and process, and collaborate with ISD for template creation and rollout. Provide payment plans for point of- service (POS) collections.
• Train clinical areas on estimate usage and patient scripting for collections, audit and provide feedback on accuracy of estimates utilizing Epic estimate reports. Track and trend collection amounts and template accuracy utilizing hospital and physician EOBs and refine process to enhance accuracy. Screen and assist patients with financial assistance, Medicaid eligibility and/or other funding sources available.
• Monitor and track routine follow up with Medicaid and financial assistance approvals. Handles HB/PB patient inquiries to address any/all billing questions via inbound calls, MyUNC Chart, patient correspondence and patient walk-ins.
• Fulfills patient requests for itemization of charges, adding/verifying/billing insurance, establishing payment plans, payroll deductions, process adjustments, request refunds, and explain charity care policy and guidelines.
• Initiate patient outreach on delinquent payment plans, adding accounts to existing payment plans and high risk/balance accounts. Investigate HB and PB Set off Debt Collection Act (SODCA) disputed accounts that have received a NC State Income Tax refund withhold using current and legacy billing and imaging systems. Meets with attorneys to record depositions, collaborate with the attorney general’s office and attend/participate in hearings when needed.
• Work with Patient Relations, Risk Management for HB and PB patients who have escalated complaints or concerns. Oversee HB Client account billing and follow-up which includes validating charges and fee schedules, review and move charges, research and reconcile payments, communicate with multiple departments to answer client questions and collect payments. Work with external customers such as collection agencies, UNCPN and Hospital based clinics to address any patient concerns.
Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
High School diploma or GED. Two (2) years of experience in Hospital or Physician Insurance related activities (Authorization, Billing, Follow-Up, Call-Center, or Collections)
Primary Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Department: REXH-75080-UNCHCS Financial Counselors
Shift: Day Job