Job Title: Staff Physician for Palliative and/or Hospice Care
FT, PT, PRN: Full time or work sharing to provide full-time coverage.
Shift: Primarily days with on-call, weekends and holidays
On Call: Off-hours (evenings, nights, weekends and holidays) for palliative care/hospice patients
The staff physician will provide comprehensive, quality palliative and/or hospice care to patients and caregivers. Care will encompass consultation and treatment. The scope of work may focus solely on palliative care, or hospice care; or may be a blended role of palliative care and hospice care. The location of work may range from inpatient palliative care, outpatient palliative care clinic to community based palliative care. This physician will also provide supervision of the interdisciplinary team including nurse practitioners and/or physician assistants.
Qualified candidates will possess broad medical knowledge and demonstrated excellence in medical practice, formal training or relevant experience in hospice and / or clinical palliative care, and excellent interpersonal communication skills with patients and caregivers. Candidates will have board certification in primary area of practice such as internal medicine, family medicine, pediatrics or psychiatry. Other specialties will be considered if physician has palliative care and/or hospice experience or certification.
Effective communication skills with referring professionals, including written documentation as well as verbal communication, are essential. Successful candidates will have training, skills and motivation necessary for interdisciplinary team collaboration in expanding palliative care and hospice services for seriously ill patients in diverse settings.
• Proactively identifies opportunities to improve the patient and family experience of care and to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of resource use
• Builds effective relationships with referral sources and physicians to ensure excellent team follow-up regarding patient consults and to build an improved culture of collaboration among all providers to meet the needs of the palliative care and/or hospice program’s patients and families
· Doctor of Medicine degree or Doctor of Osteopathy Medicine degree from an accredited institution.
· Completion of an accredited United States residency program.
· Fellowship and/or training in palliative care and hospice preferred or equivalent comparable experience (1-3 years) in the treatment of terminally ill patients.
· Board certification in Hospice and Palliative Medicine or Geriatrics preferred.
· HPNA certification preferred
· Valid and unrestricted medical license to practice medicine in the state of North Carolina
· Valid, unrestricted DEA registration
· Possess and maintain any and all applicable privileges with UNC hospitals and facilities served
· Valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance
Professional Experience Requirements:
· Experience with serious illness population required
· Telehealth experience preferred
· Experience with electronic medical record systems
Primary Location: Morrisville, North Carolina, United States
Department: UPN1-10020-UNCPN ADMINISTRATION STAFF
Shift: Day Job