Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 32229
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provide safe and timely ground transport of patients, while also providing basic and advanced life support care to patients. Work location may be at various base sites throughout central North Carolina and must be able to lift over 50 pounds and carry 80 pounds a distance of 30 feet. Additionally must be able to push/pull over 200 pounds (i.e. patients on beds, stretcher, wheel chair) lateral transfer. Work environment can be spent outdoors and schedule is 36 hours per week; 12 hour shifts rotating. Relocation Assistance Program available for eligible candidates.
1. Monitors patient condition during ground transport to provide optimal stabilization.
2. Monitors communication equipment and communicates with dispatch personnel, medical staff, family members and other stakeholders: * Ensures relevant information is collected and proper treatment is administered. * Communicates assessments and plan of care in a professional manner with the appropriate personnel.
3. Documents patients’ status, delivery of care and evaluation of the patients’ response to care according to unit specific procedures and established protocols.
4. Contacts physicians for guidance, as needed, and follows treatment protocols as described by UNC Hospitals Critical Care Transport Medical Direction.
5. Operates medical and mechanical equipment in the pre-hospital, hospital and transport environment. Ensures all various medical equipment is functioning; restocks medical supplies as needed
6. Obtains direction regarding further care from medical staff. Delivers emergency care, such as CPR, oxygen, bandaging and splinting to patients, in accordance with reestablish protocols under UNC Hospitals Critical Care Transport Medical Direction, if necessary.
7. Participates in plan of care for patients who are acutely ill and require transport from referring institutions.
● High School Diploma or GED
● NC Emergency Medical Technician--Paramedic or National Equivalent with ability to obtain NC Paramedic within 30 days of hire
•|National Registry Paramedic –Preferred for in-state but required within 12 months of hire|Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification|Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification|Basic Life Support (BLS) provider certification|ITLS / PHTLS required within one year.|Valid NC Driver’s License in good standing or able to obtain prior to start* NC, VA, SC and TN are all acceptable
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) to three (3) years of experience as an EMT-Basic or similar
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: RDU Ground
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.