Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 30202
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Part Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Wellness Center Attendant is responsible for providing guest service duties including greeting guests, providing assistance with center equipment, and enforcing fitness center rules. The Wellness Center Attendant is also responsible for maintaining a clean and organized center and assisting team members with opening or closing procedures. They will provide a safe and friendly environment for members and guests including, but not limited to the following areas of the wellness centers: front desk, climbing wall, pools and fitness floor.
1. Customer Service - They will greet all customers and answer questions or direct members appropriately for services or programs in question. They will have a strong working knowledge of the many Wellness Center related activities and programs. Respond to member’s problems and requests in appropriate, timely and respectful manner by analyzing critical situations and exercising good judgement to arrive at effective solutions. Communicates employee and member concerns/occurrences to the appropriate staff and fills out the appropriate paperwork and documentation. Able to competently handle program registration, telephone calls, check –in processes, member requests and other tasks in a friendly and efficient manner.
2. Communication - The Wellness Center Attendant will communicate with peers in a professional and courteous manner at all times. They will communicate with each area manager to ensure understanding, relay appropriate information, and use any and all means necessary to stay up to date with wellness centers information. Use of the UNCH associated email will be expected for all work communication, checking the appropriate Sharepoint sites and links, and communication binders in each department as expected. All member and work related issues should be relayed to the appropriate area manager as necessary. Report and record information correctly in the equipment log, daily cleaning schedules, area opening and closing procedures, maintenance logs, walk thrus, and other area specific logs as necessary. Will attend all departmental meetings, all-staff meetings, and supervisor meetings as required.
3. Instruction - Conducts new member equipment orientations and fitness clinics, instructs climbers during use of the wall including climbing and belay techniques. Educates customers on policies and procedures throughout the facilities. Ensures a quality education of safe, effective, and proper use of fitness equipment, pool supplies, and climbing wall equipment with an engaging personality. Performs general receptionist activities.
4. Monitoring - As part of the day to day operations the Wellness Attendant will be scheduled to work on a regular basis in all areas of the facility as indicated by the departmental schedules including the fitness floor, pool, rock wall and front desk. They will ensure all members and guests follow proper registration according to departmental policies and procedures including those for programs and services as necessary. Assist with maintaining adequate inventory of supplies as needed within each department by proactively restocking those items or by communicating this need in a timely manner to the appropriate area manager.
5. Maintenance - The Wellness Attendant will be responsible for adhering to consistent equipment maintenance and cleaning schedules in each area as outlined. This includes cleaning of exercise equipment, checking exercise equipment and other devices for safety, checking and maintaining pool, spa and sauna chemicals and temperatures, attending to spills and cleanliness related items immediately to avoid safety and exposure risk, changing laundry chemicals, cleaning dryer lint traps and other tasks not outlined here. Should report all malfunctioning equipment using appropriate maintenance logs and to area manager immediately.
6. Safety: Proper technique and use of exercise equipment, use of and inspection of climbing devices, proper belay techniques, and pool safety are of the utmost importance - Enforce all policies and procedures to ensure a safe environment for customers. Able to administer CPR/AED/O2 as necessary. Able to perform a water rescue, properly file an incident report, and activate EMS when necessary. Proactively identify situations or events that may pose a risk to members and guests and respond immediately to remedy situation. Be aware of the acute signs of exercise intolerance and able to engage the member or guest to remedy the situation.
7. Training - All wellness center attendants will be required to attend trainings within each department to become proficient with area expectations and to improve general knowledge of the wellness centers. These trainings may include: Customer Service 101, Exercise Basics and Intolerance, Equipment Orientation, Cleaning and Maintenance Procedures, FitLinxx Training, Sharepoint, CSI and Other Systems, CPR/AED/O2 Certification, Lifeguard Certification and others as required. Always strive to further knowledge of exercise and health, customer service techniques, and wellness centers programs and information to better serve our members and guests.
● None required.
● Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification within one (1) month from date of hire.
● Lifeguard Certification within 90 days from date of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must possess excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills. Must have an enthusiastic team oriented attitude. Capable of lifting towel bins, minor exercise equipment and able to perform a water rescue. Able to work independently and show initiative. Must possess strong multitasking abilities and time management skills. Knowledge of and understanding of fitness and health including cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility and body composition. Knowledge of and risks associated with exercise participation. Ability to use a computer, word processing programs and other software as determined for the job or able to learn. Be able to speak clearly and articulate instructions.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Meadowmont Wellness Center
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 20.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.