Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 32424
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Labor & Delivery is looking for a Health Unit Coordinator for their department. Our Labor & Delivery Unit is a Level III referral center, which provides care to both normal and high-risk laboring and ante partum patients. Approximately 3,800 babies are born each year at UNCH. Several thousand patients are also seen in its triage area. In addition, our providers and staff perform numerous high-risk procedures such as vaginal and cerclage placements, amniocentesis and versions as well as various fetal procedures, including IUTs, fetal shunt placements and exit procedures. The unit consists of 15 labor and delivery rooms, 5 triage rooms, a 2-bed recovery room, and 3 operating rooms. Anesthesia coverage is provided 24/7.
This is a 36 hours per week position; working 12 hour rotating shifts (7am-7:30pm and 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. This position qualifies for an extensive benefit package including PTO hours, which are accrued based on the number of worked hours. This position requires the ability to attend a week long orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm) which is offered every two weeks.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides clerical and administrative support to the nursing staff of an inpatient medical unit. Work is performed in accordance with UNC Healthcare policies and procedures under the direction of a nurse manager
1. Ensures that services outlined on orders are communicated in a timely manner to appropriate staff in the work unit and throughout the hospital in accordance with UNCHCS policies. Follows up in accordance with established procedure. Transcribes physician orders based on priority and order type. Ensures that physician orders are accurately conveyed to the servicing departments in a timely manner. Reviews orders for logic, clarity, and completeness to ensure that orders are consistent with established procedures and policy. Brings inconsistencies to the attention of clinical practitioners. Coordinates return appointments for patients. Uses multiple hospital support tools, including transportation-tracking system, pager system, Intranet. Sends and receives items via tube system. Uses clinical software and support materials such as armbands, signs, labels, MAR, Kardex, and printed requisitions.
2. Maintains patient chart in complete and accurate universal chart order, files in appropriate sections, and ensures all forms contain appropriate patient identification. Processes charts appropriately for admission, transfer, diagnostic/operative procedures, discharge, and death.
3. Orders office or patient care supplies within budget constraints and maintains inventories of unit supplies and equipment. Maintains unit communications equipment including printer, mobile laptop computers, and fax. Conducts unit audits, safety checks, and routine maintenance of office equipment. Functions as a clerical resource in the nursing unit and is thus knowledgeable about hospital policies and procedures. Ensures that the nursing unit is clean and orderly. Performs other general office support duties as required.
4. Supports the healthcare team with information and administrative support. Answers and directs telephone calls from visitors, staff, and patients. Answers patients' call system. Relays messages for patients, families, physicians, nurses, and other staff from multiple departments. Maintains confidentiality of all patient information. Creates and maintains electronic documents in MS Office
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of clerical or customer service experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Labor & Delivery
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.