Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 31750
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position performs a variety of duties related to the setup, processing , issuing of equipment and supplies at UNC Hospitals and related clinics. Employees work independently performing duties in accordance with standardized procedures, under the close supervision of a technical or administrative supervisor.
1. Communicates need for equipment and supply information for repair and replacement on a daily basis or as needed. Communicates any procedural problem or ideas that may impact the department. Acts as a resource concerning equipment inventory and repair to the departmental staff. Communicates with Bio-Med Dept regarding equipment issues.
2. Conducts and documents daily rounds twice per day with the last round no more than two hours of the evening shift. Supplies oxygen tanks to annexes and base departments as needed. Stocks Respiratory Care Department with packaged kits, disposable goods and equipment as needed to provide continuity of patient care. Completes a weekly inventory each Monday with department secretaries. Maintains records for charges, equipment and supplies as needed.
3. Disassembles equipment and insures cleaning of gross contaminates (tissue, blood, etc). Prepares equipment properly for decontamination by cold sterilization, steam autoclaving, ethylene oxide processing to include packaging and addition of indicators and date. Checks the proper function of PEEP valves, manual ventilation bags etc, after disinfecting process. Ensures the cleanliness of the cleaning equipment storage areas to include monthly washing of the walls, floors dryer filter changes etc, in the decontamination room. Ensures that the proper equipment is packaged in equipment kits such as ventilation kits.
4. Performs preventive maintenance checks on all adult and infant ventilators on a monthly basis as available. Ensures that no ventilator goes greater than 3 months without checking. Updates PM records as service is performed. Documents and reports any hazardous or malfunctioning equipment to supervisory staff. Repairs miscellaneous equipment as needed.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of experience in the cleaning or delivery of patient care equipment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
● If no prior experience: May be considered as a trainee.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Respiratory Therapy
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.