Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 36267
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Summary: This is basic level work obtaining routine history information and performing standardized ophthalmic tests according to physician orders. Work is performed under the direction and supervision of an Ophthalmologist. Assignments are recurring and typically repetitive tasks with some variety and some intricacy. Clinic policies and procedures are well-established and followed.
1. Patient Assessment - Interviews patient to collect and update medical and ocular history, family and social history, records previous surgeries and treatments, updates medications, allergies and pharmacy information. Obtains patients chief complaint asking questions as appropriate for recording severity, context, duration, frequency, associated symptoms, pain scale, etc.
2. Patient Testing - Independently performs elements of comprehensive exam such as visual acuity using various methods such as Snellen, Tumbling E's, Allen Pictures, etc., Neutralize glasses Rx with auto-lensometer or manual method and transpose between minus and plus cylinder format, Measure Intra-Ocular pressure using Applanation, Tonopen or I-Care method, measure, compare and evaluate pupillary responses, ocular motility to include versions and ductions, cover tests, stereo acuity and nystagmus, visual fields including confrontation, automated perimetry and Amsler Grid method, color vision, auto-refraction, manifest refraction, schirmer's tear testing, inflammadry and osmolarity testing, glare testing, keratometry readings (automated or manual) and corneal pachymetry.
3. Patient Set Up - Sets up for Lasers, minor surgical procedures, and injections using sterile technique where applicable. Educate patients on procedures, testing , systemic diseases and their ocular manifestations, instruct on proper medication use and treatments, how to apply eye dressings, etc. May take vital signs such as blood pressure or glucose testing or perform CPR in emergency situations.
4. Equipment Maintenance - Cleans and calibrates ophthalmic instruments and equipment, replaces bulbs and batteries, monitors clinic medical and labaratory supplies and reports shortages to facilities manager to be reordered. Cleans and sterilizes instruments according to UNC policy. Cleans and stocks exam rooms and ancillary testing rooms when needed. Maintains calibration of ophthalmic instruments and reports malfunctioning equipment to facilities manager for prompt repair.
5. Special Testing - With limited supervision, may perform special testing such as OCT, Fundus Photography, Fluorescein Angiography and Topography, Axial Length measurements using IOL Master or Immersion method as directed by the physician or in compliance with predetermined protocols.
● High School diploma or GED
● National Certification by the Joint Commission of Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology at the Assistant level.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If graduation from an accredited CoA-OMP or CMA (Canadian Medical Association) training program: Six (6) months of clinical experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: FP UNC Park Ophthalmology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.