Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 32447
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Commitment Incentive of $10,000. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, please visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program
The Histotechnologist performs a variety of the more specialized medical tissue testing and administrative tasks in support of clinical activities. Work involves preparation of tissue samples, which enable pathologist to determine the cause of death, cause and degree of disease of patient and the course of treatment.
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 10p-6:30a
1. Investigates problems with equipment, test results, specimens, and/or workflow.
2. Participates on teams or performs special projects/assignments.
3. Performs quality control and equipment maintenance.
4. Performs routine and more specialized test procedures. Prepares tissue slides by processing, embedding, sectioning, examining, and staining tissues received from surgical pathology, autopsy, hematology, cytology and research areas.
5. Performs teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and training of new employees. Serves as a technical resource.
6. Prepares specimens and reagents, solutions, heat, or filters as required.
7. Provides leadership and guidance to co-workers.
8. Reports results to healthcare providers. Consults/confers with health care providers regarding test results.
9. Reviews test results to ensure accuracy of report and timely correction of errors.
● Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry Science or Biological Science.
● HTL(ASCP) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within two years from date of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor degree plus completion of NAACLS accredited histology program, no years of experience is required.
● If Bachelor degree in biological or chemical science, one (1) year of relevant laboratory experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Anatomic Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.