Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 32764
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides assistance to patients and family members regarding establishing arrangements to provide payments for services provided. Ensures all insurance requirements are met prior to patients arrival and informs patients of their financial liability prior to arrival for services. This position is NOT work from home. It is an in-person position.
1. Admit, register and pre-register patients with accurate patient demographics and financial data.
2. Calculate and collect payments from patients for hospital and faculty physicians. Set up payment arrangements. Reconcile daily money collected. Work with collections agencies to resolve balances and/or collect payments.
3. Refer patients to the Manufacturer Drug program as needed for medications.
4. Request insurance authorizations for medical and dental procedures via online portal or by phone. Enter authorizations in various systems. Provide estimates using the passport estimator for future services to help determine patient's liability. Screen patients for charity care, COBRA and Medicaid. Help complete applications as needed. Work with third party payers for copay assistance. Submit forms for prior authorizations.
5. Review and explain claim rejections on patient's accounts. Help resolve patient balance issues and questions.
● High School diploma or GED
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience working in hospital/clinical services access or billing and collections insurance.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Excellent communication skills, oral and written. Ability to analyze data, perform multiple tasks and work independently. Must be able to develop and maintain professional, service-oriented working relationships with patients, physicians, co-workers and supervisors. Must be able to understand and comply with policies and procedures.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Financial Counseling
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.