Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 35546
Location: Wilmington, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
An Advanced Practice Provider (APP) functions as part of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in accordance with privileges approved by the credentialing committee to provide high quality, cost effective care to patients within the APPs scope of practice in collaboration with a supervising physician. The APP reflects the mission, vision, and values of the organization, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Department of Pediatrics is seeking an advanced practice provider to work in our multi-specialty academic practice in Wilmington, NC. This team is part of an innovative partnership between UNC Health, UNC School of Medicine and Novant Health to provide specialty care to children from communities throughout southeastern and coastal NC. The Novant Health – New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NH-NHRMC) facility is a full spectrum community-based, multispecialty practice and children’s hospital that includes a 45 bed Level III NICU, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and inpatient unit. The team member will also be expected to develop and perform clinical activities in surrounding outreach locations in Southeastern NC.
The UNC Division of Pediatric Neurology in Chapel Hill is a rapidly growing division with programs and research in epilepsy, neurodevelopmental disorders, sleep disorders, neonatal neurology and neuro-oncology. Through the partnership between Novant Health and UNC Children’s, NH-NHRMC will become the tertiary care referral hospital for children in Coastal and Southeastern NC.
This is a full-time position, with focus on outpatient outreach clinics. Specific areas of practice expertise within pediatric neurology will be encouraged and supported. The position would see children with headaches, tic and movement disorders, and concussions in addition to other neurologic syndromes. This is an excellent opportunity to join the current pediatric neurologist in this practice with plans for future growth.
Wilmington, NC, is a charming, coastal city of ~125,000 people located in the southeastern corner of North Carolina between the Cape Fear River and the Atlantic Ocean. It is a popular destination because of its moderate, four-season climate, historic preservation district, annual cultural events, and numerous championship golf courses. The historic downtown offers a 1.75-mile River walk and the nearby Wrightsville, Carolina and Kure Beaches are all within half-hour drives from downtown Wilmington.
1. Clinical- Obtains relevant health and medical history, performs thorough physical assessment, reviews and interprets pertinent diagnostic tests/results. Develops appropriate differential diagnoses. Develops and implements treatment plans including prescribing/ordering of appropriate evidence-based pharmacological agents consistent with departmental guidelines and privileging, and schedules appropriate follow-up management. Actively incorporates evidence-based hospital initiatives to improve patient care. Conducts preventive health screening based on age, history and patient needs. Maintains clear comprehensive yet concise records of all aspects of patient care. Maintains essential knowledge of general disease and pathologic processes. Maintains extensive knowledge of their specialty literature including awareness of developing areas. Consistently derives correct diagnoses through synthesis of clinical data and proper selection and interpretation of diagnostic studies. Develops comprehensive differential diagnoses for patients. Revises the plan of care to meet the changing needs of the patient. Prioritizes work and assists staff to provide prompt and efficient client flow. Consistently maintains high productivity according to identified standards. Leads/participates in projects to improve productivity. Appropriately performs medical procedures consistent with departmental guidelines, privileging, and clinical roles/responsibilities.
2. Education- Appropriately and professionally educates clients and/or families regarding medical condition, treatment, and follow-up. Collaborates with clinicians, staff, and students to promote continuity and patient/family centered care. Develops educational materials based on learning needs of clinicians, staff, and students. Provide education/instruction to physicians, housestaff, nursing, ancillaries and/or students. Actively recognizes and participates in identification and achievement of self-learning needs. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs.
3. Leadership- Provides instruction to physicians, housestaff, nursing, ancillaries and/or students including but not limited to precepting, shadowing, lectures, training classes, CE, rounds, morning report, and or staff meetings. Participates in community/network outreach programs. Develops/leads community/network outreach programs. Demonstrates both an understanding of the contexts and system in which healthcare is provided and the ability to apply this knowledge to improve and optimize health care delivery. Leads/participates in systems improvements.
4. Professional- Interacts with patients and families in a respectful, courteous and timely fashion using appropriate communication for the patient and situation. Interacts collaboratively with coworkers, other team members and staff in a respectful, courteous, and timely fashion appropriate to patient care needs and situations. Responds quickly to meet customer needs and resolve problems. Accepts responsibility for outcomes of one?s work. Shares responsibility for overall workload with team members.
5. Quality/Research- Engages in daily continuous quality improvement by identifying and implementing processes for improvement. Consults with management in assessment, problem-solving, decision-making, and evaluating clinical/system issues and models of care. Leads interdisciplinary teams to provide integrated delivery of patient care services. Initiates and revises protocol(s) or guideline(s) to reflect evidence-based changes in care management Works to influence policy-making bodies to improve patient care. Develops new clinical programs or services within the department/unit/clinic to improve patient care.
● Completion of an accredited graduate-level Advanced Practice Provider (APRN or PA) program.
● Licensed as an Advanced Practice Provider (i.e., Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant, Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner, Certified Nurse Midwife, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist) in the state of North Carolina. Board certification if required by the Department. DEA.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Demonstrated clinical competency. Effective leadership skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Demonstrated written and verbal communication and strong analytical skills. Effective interaction to ensure the successful care of patients in the clinical setting. Documentation in the medical record to substantiate accurate billing.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNCFP Peds Wilmington PR
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Wilmington
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.