Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 36978
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Specialty Pharmacy Technician is responsible for processing, preparation, and filling of specialty prescriptions. Ensure accuracy of prescription and patient data entered into various systems by verifying patient, drug, quantities and directions. Completes monthly compliance calls, medical record and pharmacy profile documentation, contacts insurance payers to resolve claim issues, works with others to secure and process financial assistance for patients, when needed, and works with care managers, providers, and pharmacists to deliver highly coordinated care.
1. Receives and accurately transcribes orders from prescribers under the supervision of a pharmacist. Process prescriptions in a timely order and manner so as to best take care of patient needs. Assists with training of new employees, educating them in job-specific functions. Act as an extension of the Pharmacy Billing Office as interactions with patients occur, monitoring payment accounts, creating charges, taking payments, creating accounts, re-opening accounts, and taking all FSA card related account payments. Credit, reconcile, or investigate patient accounts based on grant status, copay eligibility, and patient feedback.
2. Assist patients in finding copayment assistance, renewing grants, or outside pharmacy, triage if necessary. Maintain continual knowledge of insurance requirements based on accreditation and regulatory requirements. Monitor and follow-up with internal teams on all insurance and assistance re-authorization patient needs to ensure continual therapy for patients
3. Answer telephone in required time to comply with third party and accreditation standards. Communicate adherence barriers and collaborate with care team members to develop a plan to increase patients’ medication adherence and provide continuous quality care for the patient. Coordinate patient care and perform patient follow up refill assessments to confirm compliance, complete medication reconciliation, triage side effects, and verify changes to pharmacy benefits.
4. Thoroughly document a patient encounter via Epic to meet accreditation standards by addressing new medications, confirming allergies, verifying quantity of medication on hand and triaging appropriate patient-reported information to providers. Package, ship and track all packages to ensure they are delivered to the appropriate address and within set timeframes for medication integrity. Contributes to process improvement projects.
● High school diploma or GED.Completion of an academic pharmacy technician training program preferred.
● · Registration with the NC Board of Pharmacy unless enrolled in a PharmD program. · CPhT from PTCB or ExCPT from NHA unless enrolled in a PharmD program.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two years of pharmacy technician experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● ·Communication Skills·Leadership Skills·Organizational Skills·Self-initiative·Innovative·Collaborative
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: UNC HCS SSC Pharmacy Retail
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.