Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 38383
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Looking for an energetic, positive person to join the UNC Surgical Services Business Office as an Administrative Specialist. Administrative Specialist position responsible for posting all charges related to surgery for Main, Children’s, Hillsborough, Peds Procedure and Ambulatory Surgery Center. Required to ensure key billing parameters are kept while validating cases in an electronic posting. Work closely with multiple departments to ensure accuracy and integrity of charge capture. Monitor work queues in order to research and fix problems causing delay in charge posting. Also responsible for all repair and returns from creating requisition orders to return equipment for department. This job will require a knowledge of billing practices, CPT codes, and knowledge of medical billing terminology and requirements. Knowledge of EPIC and Lawson strongly desired. This job will require initiative & ability to adapt to changes in work environment & service needs. Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the Director or Business Manager.
This position is 40 hours/week and is eligible for State benefits.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs duties of an Administrative Associate but with some authority to step outside confines of established procedures. They are also considered the subject matter authority in the administrative area for the department/clinic.
1. Assisting in developing budgets, monitoring expenditures, and reconciling financial statements. Investigating discrepancies and processing corrective actions.
2. Coordinating and completing special projects independently or in cooperation with other groups as assigned.
3. Determines administrative needs and making arrangements for conferences, meetings, seminars or other related activities.
4. Extracting and compiling data from written sources, individuals, and/or databases and providing interpretation.
5. Managing departmental information systems.
6. Preparing complex databases, reports, charts, graphs, spreadsheets at designated intervals as requested. Composing formal correspondence and documents for internal or external circulation.
7. Serving as point person for all complex customer service and administrative issues. Interpreting and communicating policies/procedures to other parties based on knowledge of the organization and departmental guidelines. Routinely providing guidance and direction to lower-level staff. Assists with screening applications and conducting initial interviews of entry-level staff as needed. Investigate patient and provider complaints and provide reports with root causes and service recovery.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of clerical or administrative experience
● If Bachelor's degree, no years of clerical or administrative experience
● If Associate's degree, one (1) year of clerical or administrative experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Customer Focus: makes the customer and their needs their top priority and goes the extra mile to satisfy their customers. Demonstrates the ability to resolve customer problems. Technical expertise: understands the technical aspects of one’s job. Effectively uses Microsoft office products in order to produce reports and documents. Demonstrates the ability to learn and master the scheduling system as appropriate Coachability: Receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement Accountability: Manages performance to meet expected results. Works to meet the internal/external customer requirements. Fiscal responsibility: Understands the insurance process and seeks to make the best decision/referral in the interest of the customer. Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan. Coaching: Shares information, advice and suggestions to help others to be more successful. Provides appropriate support and acts as a resource depending on the situation and capabilities of the employee. Conflict Resolution: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people. Finds agreement on issues and follows through on implementation Solving Problems: Uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Support Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.