Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 37249
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Hospitals (UNCH) Department of Pharmacy has an immediate opening for a highly-motivated pharmacist interested in joining our Nephrology, Endocrinology and Cardiology Clinics at the Eastowne Medical Office Building in Chapel Hill.
The successful Cardiorenal and Metabolic Risk Reduction Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner (CPP) will play an integral role in the management of adult patients cared for in the Nephrology, Endocrinology and Cardiology Clinics. These UNCH specialty clinics at Eastowne are multidisciplinary hospital-based clinics which offer comprehensive outpatient services. The Cardiorenal CPP will obtain primary clinical privileges in Nephrology and secondary privileges in both Endocrinology and Cardiology. The CPP will serve as an Advanced Practice Provider (APP) on the interdisciplinary health care teams as well as providing clinical support to physicians, nurses, and other ancillary staff. Pharmacy services will focus on cardiorenal and metabolic risk reduction and optimization of guideline-directed medical therapy as an APP with additional opportunities to expand care across these specialty areas. The majority of clinic sessions will be served in Nephrology with at least a half-day clinic session in both Endocrinology and Cardiology.
1. Clinical Responsibilities: Builds a clinical practice that collaborates with physicians and providers to care for clinic patients. Works closely with clinic physicians and providers to determine appropriate treatment plans. Provides longitudinal dosing and monitoring of appropriate regimens. Aligns daily practice with medication management goals set forth by the institution or pharmacy director, including medication use evaluations and medication reconciliation. Educates patients and families about their treatment plans and subsequent medication management including lab monitoring. Educates staff on guideline updates and practice advancements associated with this patient population. Manages toxicities and adverse effects caused by medication regimens for patients seen in the clinic. Manages transitions of care for patients from the acute to ambulatory care setting and vice versa.
2. Precepting/Teaching/Scholarly activities: Educates UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy students and UNC Medical Center pharmacy residents on experiential rotations. Educates clinic staff on guideline updates and practice advancements. Serves as a standing committee member on select groups of committees within UNC Medical Center and/or Eshelman School of Pharmacy. Designs and implements projects. Conducts research; prepares and submits manuscripts for publication.
3. Leadership: Provides instruction to physicians, nurses, ancillaries, residents and/or students including but not limited to precepting, shadowing, lectures, in-services and CE. Develops programs/lectures and participates in community outreach programs. Leads quality improvement initiatives.
4. Quality: Engages in continuous quality improvement by identifying and implementing processes for improvement. Consults with management in assessment, problem-solving, decision-making, and evaluating clinical/system issues and models of care. Develops new clinical programs or services within the clinic/department to improve patient care.
The successful candidate will also provide educational mentorship and experiential precepting to pharmacy students, Post-graduate Year 1 (PGY1), and Post-graduate year 2 (PGY2) Pharmacy residents at UNC Hospitals. Additionally, the Cardiorenal CPP will work with the Department of Pharmacy to address institutional and departmental pharmacy-related quality improvement initiatives. Academic appointment at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy is also available commensurate with experience.
Completion of a PGY2 specialty residency in Ambulatory Care, Cardiology, Pharmacotherapy or an equivalent level of experience in clinical practice is preferred. Three to five years of practice experience in ambulatory care or the relevant specialties above would be strongly preferred. The designation of Board Certification in Ambulatory Care, Pharmacotherapy or Cardiology and/or prior experience as a resident and student preceptor is preferred.
● Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy.
● CPP must by a registered Pharmacist and licensed CPP in the state of NC. Credentialing and Privileging must be completed through the appropriate UNC HCS accrediting body as an APP prior to start date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● North Carolina registered Pharmacist:. BS Pharmacy or Pharm D. BPS Certification or Geriatric Certification or ASHP residency program + 2 years of experience
● North Carolina Registered Pharmacist:. Pharm D. 3 years experience. 1 certificate program
● North Carolina Registered Pharmacist:. BS Pharmacy. 5 years experience. 2 certificate programs
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Retail Contract Pharmacie
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Durham
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.