Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 38690
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Part Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs a variety of duties to assist families and staff regarding the disposition of all matters of decedent care.
1. Audit and route all necessary paperwork follow through on pending paperwork and communicate needs for further follow-up to next individual scheduled to work in this capacity.
2. Complete rounds on IP units approximately 1 hour/shift. Determine where patients are in the death process.
3. Confirm that postmortem care has been provided correctly in terms of the bags and tags required. Escort body to the morgue and log the body into the cooler. Complete morgue log book.
4. Prepares death packets. Act as liaison with clinicians, HUC?s, Nursing, etc. to expedite paperwork processing, bed turnover and release of decedent to funeral home.
5. Utilize Decedent Care Checklist to ensure all steps have been completed. Act as liaison with funeral homes, organ banks and the Medical Examiner's office.
6. Work closely with clinicians to ensure the correct cause of death is on the death certificate.
● Associate's degree in an appropriate discipline (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If an Associate's degree: Three (3) years of relevant experience.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Seven (7) years of relevant experience.
● If Bachelor's degree: one (1) year of relevant experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong communication skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Autopsy
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 20.00
Work Schedule: Weekend
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.