Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 39331
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Seeking a Social Worker for the UNC Medical Center's Emergency Department. It primarily provides discharging planning for behavioral health patients in the ED setting. Experience working w/ behavioral health patients preferred.
Hours: 7am-7pm; variable weekdays and every other weekend
1. Identify Cases & Prioritize Day - Review and prioritize consults received. Participate in Daily Care Management Touchpoint per established protocols. If indicated, communicate with Care Management Assistant (CMA) to share priorities. In Communication And Patient Planning (CAPP) Meetings and Complex Care Meetings, identify patients who require a SW consult and collaborate with the CM regarding findings/needs
2. CAPP Meeting - Attend and actively participate in CAPP meetings for assigned units to provide and receive information on patients’ progression and psychosocial needs. Complete follow-up from CAPP as appropriate. For CAPP that the Social Worker cannot attend, communicate psychosocial, discharge and plan of care barriers to the appropriate Care Manager for discussion, as necessary meet with the CM after the meeting to obtain updates and action items.
3. Complex Care Meeting - Attend weekly Complex Care Meeting (CCM) and discuss high risk patients. Formulate potential solutions with Utilization Manager and Social Worker and continuously monitor cases/follow up on all action items. Proactively identify high risk cases that need to be escalated to the list that are not scheduled for discussion that week. Complete CCM follow-up after the meeting as assigned
4. New Consults - Complete and document a psychosocial assessment within 24 hours of receiving the consult and communicate recommendations back to the Care Manager/Multidisciplinary Team. Determine and document a plan of care as a part of the psychosocial assessment in Epic™
5. Active Consults - Document social work note/reassessment as outlined per policy. Discuss with appropriate members of the multidisciplinary team when there are barriers to discharge and psychosocial concerns impacting progression of care or readmission risk. Coordinate family meetings, as necessary, to support the progression of care. Provide education on community resources, support/educational groups, and any other appropriate resources to patient, family, and care team. Educate and/or coordinate referrals to community resources and post-acute providers as necessary. Identify patient’s readiness to discharge based on discussions with the patient/family/care team on an ongoing basis. Assess the discharge plan to determine needs post-discharge and communicate to patient/family/care team on an ongoing basis. Identify required authorization for post-discharge services and refer to the appropriate post-discharge service provider. Participate in medication resource management for non-resourced patients, as needed. Verify patient’s understanding/agreement of discharge plan. Refer administrative tasks (e.g., faxing, form processing) to Care Management Assistant. Escalate urgent or complex cases to appropriate Care Management leadership according to established departmental escalation process.
6. Professionalism - Demonstrates flexibility and professionalism in a dynamic environment with frequent re-ordering of priorities and assignments. Uses critical thinking skills to evaluate and prioritize rapidly changing demands, working collaboratively to best accomplish the team’s mission.
7. Documentation - Documents activities, events, and information per standards in established software systems in a timely, accurate, and complete manner. Identifies Avoidable Delays and documents causes for delay consistent with department standards.
8. Confidentiality - Uses established policies and processes to handle, discuss, and transmit protected health information in manner consistent with privacy and compliance expectations and policies.
9. Compliance and Performance Improvement - Uses departmental guidelines and job aids to perform work in an accurate, compliant manner consistent with known and written expectations and work rules. Participates in process improvement initiatives, which may include helping with the creation/revision of guidelines, training tools, and job aids. Maintains current knowledge of institutional and departmental expectations for job performance through attendance at meetings, review of meeting minutes and guidance documents, and independent review of institutional and departmental policies and guidelines as needed. May assist with training/pre-cepting as needed as assigned.
● Master's degree in Social Work (MSW) from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
● No licensure required at this time
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of medical care management experience as a Social Worker.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong assessment and critical thinking skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Care Mgmt-Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.