Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 40936
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides competent clinical surgical care
consistent with professional standards. Reporting and accountable to the Nurse
Manager/Director, the Surgical Nurse is responsible for coordinating and delivering
surgical care utilizing the nursing process in an operating room setting.
1. Education – Must successfully complete AORN Perioperative 101 OR Residency Program. Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. With assistance, uses educational materials relevant to patient population. Assesses readiness to learn of the patient/family/caregivers. Assesses developmental level of patient and factors affecting ability to learn.
2. Evaluation of Care - Identifies expected patient outcomes specific to surgical procedures through assessment, implementation, and evaluation of care, in collaboration with the interdisciplinary perioperative team. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care.
3. Implementation - Demonstrates competence in the care of surgical patients with complex problems, including population appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Utilizes healthcare organization and nursing standards, policies and procedures in delivery of surgical care. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion regarding patients with complex care issues, unusual teaching needs and/or those at high risk for discharge planning.
4. Leadership - With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. Participates in promoting cost-effective care. Provides feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean and secure hospital environment for all.
5. Patient Assessment - Recognizes data from complex situations to prioritize the delivery of surgical care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates surgical needs of individual patients and families. Serves as patient advocate throughout the perioperative experience.
6. Planning - Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the surgical plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Utilizes full range of communication as a means to convey planning. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
7. Research - Reads journals that contain studies or evidence based practice articles applicable to surgical nursing care. Brings ideas and questions to the staff at large for assessment of applicability.
● Graduation from school of professional nursing.
● Successful completion of the AORN Perioperative 101 OR Residency Program.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina by the day of clinical care.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Successful completion of the 6 month AORN Perioperative 101 OR Residency Program.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration.
● Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
● Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Urology Procedures
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.