Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 40637
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Full time, 40 hours, on call required
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Summary: The Infection Preventionist is an independently functioning nurse with exceptional knowledge in infection prevention and hospital epidemiology. They participate in activities related to the prevention of healthcare-associated infections in patients, healthcare personnel and visitors. Our team’s mission is to promote a safe and healthy environment through the prevention of healthcare-associated infections in patients and the transmission of infectious diseases among patients, personnel, and visitors, and to contribute to infection prevention research to guide evidence-based practices.
We approach all infection prevention activities using a multidisciplinary approach through our integrated team that has expertise in hospital epidemiology, infection prevention, quality improvement, informatics, advanced epidemiologic and statistical methods, advanced microbiologic methods, and compliance monitoring and coaching. We believe success in our mission starts with an amazing team. Infection prevention teammates demonstrate our values every day. We learn a lot from our healthcare personnel, patients and each other and are committed to treating everyone with dignity and respect.
Why work at UNCMC Infection Prevention?
• We impact people and care about people everyday • We are committed to an equitable and inclusive workplace
• We are a community that builds camaraderie across the departments we support
• Teammate feedback has led to improved workflows and an inclusive workplace environment
• We have FUN – including during and after work-sponsored social events
1. Consultation - Serve as a consultant/liaison with facility departments, facility committees, Continuous Quality Improvement teams, area health departments. Participate in the preparation, review and initiation of infection prevention policies.
2. Education - Serve as an educator by developing educational programs and materials for healthcare personnel regarding infection prevention practices. Participate in continuing education activities at the department, hospital, system, state and national level
3. Exposure Work-Up - Evaluate communicable disease exposures within UNCMC to contain communicable diseases and prevent disease transmission to patients, visitors and healthcare personnel.
4. Investigational Studies—Participate in monitoring of construction activities to ensure infection prevention measures are implemented and continued during renovation and construction activities. Participates in the review of healthcare facility construction and renovations to ensure that infection prevention concerns are addressed
5. Outbreak Investigation-- Participates in the evaluation of nosocomial infection outbreaks to detect causes and formulate solutions to improve patient outcomes
6. Quality Assessment-- Evaluate new equipment and products to ensure provision of elements necessary to prevent the spread of infection and for adequate disinfection. Performs quality control activities, such point prevalence surveys and observational rounding to evaluate adherence to policies and evaluate effectiveness of educational activities.
7. Surveillance-- Perform healthcare-associated infection surveillance in order to establish baseline infection rates, guide infection prevention activities, communicate pertinent observations to those responsible for patient care, and identify epidemics, clusters of infections, infections due to unusual pathogens that require action.
8. Quality Improvement- Participate in departmental and facility quality improvement initiatives related to infection prevention
1. Consultation - Serves as consultant/liaison with hospital departments, hospital committees (e.g., Infection Control Committee, Pet Visitation), CQI teams, area health departments. Prepares, reviews and initiates infection control policies as assigned
2. Education - Serves as an educator by developing educational programs and materials for hospital employees regarding infection control policies. Participates in continuing education activities at the department, hospital, state and national level
3. Exposure Work-Up - Evaluates communicable disease exposures within the hospital complex to contain infectious diseases and prevent disease transmission to patients and employees.
4. Investigational Studies--May monitor construction activities to ensure infection control measures are implemented and continued during renovation and construction activities. Participates in the review of hospital construction and renovations to ensure that infection control issues are addressed
5. Outbreak Investigation-Participates in the evaluation of nosocomial infection outbreaks to detect causes and formulate solutions to improve patient outcomes
6. Quality Assessment-Evaluates new equipment and products to ensure provision of elements necessary to prevent the spread of infection and for adequate disinfections. Performs quality control activities to evaluate the effectiveness of written communication and educational activities related to infection control and established guidelines for antibiotic usage.
7. Surveillance --Performs ward surveillance, monitors patient isolation/precautions and medical records to determine health care associated infections in order to establish baseline infection rates, detect changing patterns or problems requiring action, communicate pertinent observations to those responsible for patient care, and identify epidemics, clusters of infections, infections due to unusual pathogens.
● Graduation from a state-accredited school of professional nursing
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of experience in either patient care, infection control, occupational safety or ergonomics.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: OQE - Infection Prevention
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.