Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 41955
Location: Cary, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Camp Counselor is responsible for planning, leading, and implementing activities for children in a small group setting. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. This counselor will radiate confidence in their ability to motivate and assist memorable experiences for participants that focus on the UNC Wellness Centers core values of exceeding expectations, respect, and responsibility.
1. Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, swimming, recreational sports, indoor Rockwall climbing, and outdoor turf games. This also includes transitional times. Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Camp Supervisor.
2. Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance. Ability to serve as a positive role model and mentor
3. Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times. Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program. Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
4. Supervise campers during meals. Identify and respond to camper behavior issues. Participate in potentially strenuous physical activity.
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Associate’s degree or two (2) years or more of full-time college coursework equivalent preferred.
● First aid and CPR training and certification upon 30 days of employment.
● Lifeguard Certification preferred
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Belay at indoor Rock Climbing Wall.
● Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities. Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision. Strong organizational and communication skills.
● Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, swimming, team building initiatives, belaying on the Rockwall, physical games, and activities. Must have the ability to physically support children when needed for safety in general camp activities (child weighing 50 - 200 pounds).
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Northwest Cary Wellness Center
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Cary
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.