Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 28175
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center Hillsborough
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Protect and serve the patients, staff and visitors of UNC Hospitals through law enforcement and crime prevention. Patrol specific campus locations and investigate complaints and violations of State laws and local ordinances. Perform specialized duties to deter crime and promote effective safety and security practices. Lead and direct daily work of Police Officers.
DESCRIPTION OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
•Act as supervisor of the Work Unit in the absence of squad Lieutenant. May assist in the management of the Criminal Investigations Division, Patrol Squad, or the Community Services Unit.
•Act and direct the action of others quickly and intelligently in emergency situations.
•Issue and/or effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
• Effectively communicate with the public, representatives of the legal system, police department personnel, and Hospital patients, staff and visitors.
• Prepare and/or review routine reports of activities engaged in and incidents investigated by departmental personnel for completeness and thoroughness of detail.
• Apply UNC regulations, local, state and federal laws and statutes in investigations.
• Serve as the Department Quarter Master in charge of uniforms and personal equipment for non-sworn employees, and police/security operational and emergency equipment/supplies.
• Represent the department at meetings to plan for special events and document those meetings on behalf of the Command Staff.
• Complete special projects by the Command Staff to include, but not limited to, conduct research for equipment or police practices, draft staff reports, or other assignments at the discretion of the Director. • Patrol UNC Hospitals properties and respond to and/or investigate complaints and violations of State laws and local ordinances.
• Actively participates in annual Department goal process and effectively addresses problems associated with crime, fear of crime, and quality of life issues by using sound problem solving methods and properly documenting efforts.
• Investigates any and all types of extraordinary conditions or unusual circumstances that may occur on a campus and other Hospital owned property.
• Documents all field contacts, including liaison contacts, community contacts, suspicious persons, and community oriented policing programs on the OSSI computerized Records Management System.
• Conducts foot patrol and checks assigned areas for security and safety compromises.
• Balances and directs patrol attention toward incidents, locations, and times based upon personal observation and crime trend analysis.
• Develop and implement preventative patrol techniques and perform specialized duties to deter crime and promote effective safety and security practices including evaluating statistical criminal activity data and trend evaluation; assessing potential for crime; developing and managing information programs to reduce crime; and distributing printed informational materials.
• Develop and manage programs aimed at reducing crime through educating the public regarding activity on Hospital property. Focus is on personal and group preventative measures to reduce the probability that a crime will occur, plus explaining the role of UNCHP as it relates to the Hospital community.
• Applies the SARA model of problem solving to identify and solve problems pertaining to crime, fear of crime, and quality of life issues and documents problem solving efforts
• Conduct investigations of criminal activity that occurs on Hospital owned property which Includes conducting preliminary and follow-up investigations concerning violation(s) of State law, injury to persons or property, and conditions and causes of an incident.
• Identifies leads, conducts interviews, prepares written reports and court documents, and identifies, collects and preserves evidence. Determines the causes of crimes, arrests suspects and testifies in court.
• Enforce State and local traffic laws and ordinances. Includes: accident Investigation, aiding injured persons, interviewing victims, witnesses, etc., writing citations, and arresting as appropriate. Controls and directs pedestrian and vehicular traffic in accident and other designated areas, and other traffic related duties as needed.
• Serve as the Training Officer for sworn personnel to include, but not limited to, coordinating schedules for new officers during their FTO period; manage the department’s FTO program and training officers; coordinate the annual in-service training for the police section of the department; serve as a general instructor within the department.
• Maintains current BLET certification including annual in-service training. Attends training exercises and classes in subjects such as: criminal law; community oriented policing; police science; first aid and CPR; emergency response; communications skills; public relations; and, Hospital policies and procedures.
• Serve as primary or alternate FTO for new officers assigned to the Field Training Officer program.
• Demonstrates understanding of Department’s mission, vision, core values, and goals and effectively applies that understanding to advance the Department.
• Participates in Career Development Program by meeting with Operations Major and direct Supervisor to discuss career interests and involvement in a career path as outlined in Department General Orders.
• Recognizes and abides by the department’s chain of command with regard to requests, complaints, and other information submittals that require movement throughout the chain.
High school diploma or equivalency. Preferred : A two-year degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
Must meet physical and psychological requirements of the NC Criminal Education and Standards Commission which includes a physical exam, psychological exam, and drug test.
Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer in accordance with the provisions of the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Commission.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
•Ability to Issue and/or effectively carry out oral and written instructions. •Ability to effectively communicate
•Ability to Apply UNC regulations, local, state and federal laws and statutes in investigations.
• Ability to subdue resisting suspects and effect forcible arrests; using hands and feet in self-defense.
• Ability to Operate a law enforcement vehicle under emergency conditions during day and night;
• Ability to Performs searches of people and buildings involving feeling and detecting objects.
• Ability to Exercise independent judgment in determining when to use force and to what degree.
• Ability to endure verbal and mental abuse while remaining composed and professional.
• Ability to comprehend legal documents including citations, affidavits, and warrants.
• Planning and organizational skills.
• Writing skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center Hillsborough
Organization Unit: UNCH HBO Security&Courier Svs
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Hillsborough
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.