Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 38669
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs general security work in the protection of persons and property. Provides support with enforcement of UNC Health security and safety regulations. Prepares reports and maintains proficiency in the department’s current report writing system. Gathers information, including video monitoring. Serves in specialized unit assignments and assists the organization to ensure adherence of applicable federal, state and local laws.
1. Communications Communicates effectively via two-way radio, computer, email, telephone and via verbal communications within the Hospital Police Department, as well as with other law enforcement agencies, Hospital staff members, visitors and patients.
2. Emergency Response Assist with mental health patient custody issues and also assist in both arranging transportation to other facilities as well as escorting patients to units in house within the Hospitals. Provides immediate response for calls for assistance in dealing with patient, visitor or employee behavior issues and provides backup for Hospital police officers dealing with those situations. Responds to smoke, trouble or fire alarms as required. Participates as a functioning part of the Emergency Response Team to provide or prevent access to the involved area as required in emergency situations at the Hospital. Assist Hospital Police Officers as required in the removal of unauthorized persons from Hospital property. Maintains a working knowledge of emergency codes and Hospital police response procedures. Responds appropriately and in a timely manner to any and all emergency situations as well as activated security alarms.
3. Fixed Post Functions Emergency Department-Controls patient and visitor entry as appropriate into the E.D. Operates metal screening system to prevent weapons or other contraband from entering the patient treatment area. Maintains parking lot surveillance to assure safety and ensure parking availability for E.D. customers. Night Entrance- Controls the entrance of visitors and employees after hours at the Hospitals designated night entrance as well as screens for proper authorization and identification. Staffs other posts as needed.
4. Investigations and Incident Report Writing- Complete trepass, patient intervention and use of force reports with complete narrative into departmental records management system. Takes custody of items found, secures them properly and attempts to return property. Initiates risk assessments on D.O.C. inmates, patients and employees as required. I
5. Patrol Submits daily activity logs/reports before the end of the shift unless approved otherwise by the supervisor. Is knowledgeable of the security sensitive areas identified in the Security Mg plan and patrol area policy. Escorts employees, patients and visitors to parking areas. Provides after-hours access to secured areas for authorized personnel. Collects inventories and secures patient property when cashiers' office is not open. Patrols assigned area and properly documents/reports security or safety hazards. Locks/unlocks designated doors. Assures deceased bodies are entered and properly released from the morgue with proper ID. Transports patient commitment documents to the Magistrates' office. Interacts with personnel in patrol areas and challenges all suspicious persons encountered. Completes/documents the required number of patrols as specified by the Shift Lieutenant or Sergeant. Intervenes and redirects persons observed to be in violation of the UNC Health Care Tobacco-Free Workplace policy.
6. Traffic Control Conducts parking surveys when requested or required. Enforces applicable parking regulations. Initiates towing of vehicles as required. Reports malfunction of citation writing equipment to the proper persons so as to assure they are repaired. Patrols areas of responsibility and writes citations to illegally parked or unauthorized vehicles in a ?proactive? manner.
● High School diploma or GED
● Valid North Carolina Driver's license
● CPR Certification prior to completion of 12 months of employment.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires one (1) year of previous work experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must be proficient in oral and written communication. Basic computer skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Hospital Police Department
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.