Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 27549
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Per Diem RN needed for Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit
Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit is a 16 bed critical care unit specializing in the treatment of post-surgical cardiac, vascular and thoracic patients. The primary surgical procedures include coronary artery bypass grafting, heart valve repair/replacements, heart transplants, lung transplants, heart/lung transplants, aortic/thoracic aneurysm repairs, and complicated esophageal, thoracic and vascular surgeries. CTICU nurses are educated to successfully manage and care for patients with advanced hemodynamic monitoring and supportive devices such as pulmonary artery catheters, temporary and permanent pacemakers, and ventricular assist devices.
Experience in cardiothoracic specialty is preferred but not required. Our orientation program is tailored to your existing skills and experience with supplemental and specialty courses to expand your knowledge. Per Diem position requires at least one year of experience in similar specialty area.
The CTICU is part of UNC Center for Health and Vascular Care whose mission is to provide an interdisciplinary approach to the care of patients with cardiac and vascular disease. Within the Center for Health and Vascular Care you will encounter a variety of learning experiences and a dynamic work environment that will appeal to nurses at all levels of experience.
This is a per diem / temporary position requiring a minimum of 24 hours worked each month, schedule is flexible based on RN and unit needs. No benefits. ACLS required. Strongly prefer candidates with 2 or more years of ICU experience. Experience in cardiothoracic specialty is preferred but not required.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides competent clinical nursing care consistent with professional standards. Reporting and accountable to the Nurse Manager/Director, the Clinical Nurse is responsible for coordinating and delivering patient care utilizing the nursing process in a hospital setting.
1. Education - Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. With assistance, uses patient education materials relevant to patient population. Assesses readiness to learn of the patient/family/caregivers. Assesses developmental level of patient and factors affecting ability to learn.
2. Evaluation of Care - Identifies expected patient outcomes. Seeks guidance as needed in revision of plan of care. Participates in discussion with members of the interdisciplinary team in evaluation of patient care. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care.
3. Implementation - Demonstrates competence in care of patients with complex problems, including population-appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan. Utilizes healthcare organization and nursing standards, policies and procedures in delivery of care. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion regarding patients with complex care issues, unusual teaching needs and/or those at high risk for discharge planning.
4. Leadership - With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. Participates in promoting cost-effective care. Gives feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean and secure hospital environment for all.
5. Patient Assessment - Recognizes data from complex situations to determine priorities for care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates discharge needs of individual patients and families. Develops relationships with families that promote their ability to advocate for the patient and their own needs.
6. Planning - Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Begins to use full range of communication as a means to convey planning. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
7. Research - Reads journals that contain studies or articles that may be applicable to practice. Brings ideas and questions to the staff at large for assessment of applicability.
● Graduation from a school of professional nursing.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina. Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of relevant and current experience required
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US: NC: Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.