Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 42052
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
***This position qualifies for our Clinical Laboratory Incentive Program which includes a $10,000 Commitment Incentive paid over a two (2) year period. For more information, please go to: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program***
The Cytogenetic Technologist processes clinical specimens from patients who are referred for cancer or constitutional cytogenetic diagnosis. The processing will include accessioning the specimen into the laboratory, tissue culture, harvesting or preparing the cells for analysis, slide preparation and staining, microscope analysis, imaging, cell karyotyping and preparation of diagnostic result reports. The Cytogenetic Technologist will be responsible for a weekend rotation of about one Saturday every two months, and rotating holiday coverage.
Hours: 9:00AM to 5:30PM Monday through Friday
1. Investigates problems with equipment, test results, specimens, and/or workflow.
2. May participate on teams or perform special projects/assignments.
3. May perform teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and training of new employees. May serve as a technical resource.
4. Performs quality control and equipment maintenance in the Cytogenetics laboratory.
5. Reports results to healthcare providers. Consults/confers with healthcare providers regarding test results.
6. Reviews test results to ensure accuracy of report and timely correction of errors.
7. Performs cytogenetic testing procedures: cell culture and processing, microscopic analysis and may perform FISH and microarray testing. Observes test performance and trends and provides data.
8. Prepares solutions and reagents and verifies preparation quality.
9. May serve as a technical resource.
● Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry Science, Biological science, Diagnostic Genetic Sciences
● CG (ASCP) Board of Certification eligible (must be received within one year of hire date.)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or a Chemistry or Biological science and completion of a NACCLS accredited Cytogenetics program or completion of a Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Genetic Sciences, then no years of experience required.
● If Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or a Chemistry or Biological science, then one (1) year of full-time experience in a cytogenetic laboratory required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Molecular And Cytogenetcs
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.