Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 40665
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC REX Critical Care Transport has 10 trucks that provide Basic Life Support, Advanced Life Support and Critical Care transports across eastern North Carolina. The BLS transports are accomplished with a team of two EMT’s, our ALS transports have a crew of an EMT and a Paramedic or a Registered Nurse, and our Critical Care Transports have a crew configuration of an EMT, Paramedic, and a Registered Nurse. We provide transports of patients moving from hospitals to rehabilitation facilities to critically ill patients in the region with complex medical conditions requiring ventilator support and other advanced therapies such as balloon pumps and LVADs. As a busy inter-facility transport team, REX Critical Care Transport includes an impressive fleet of vehicles and transports on average 600 patients each month.
UNC REX Critical Care Transport services work closely with neurologists, pulmonologists, emergency physicians, hospitalists, intensivists and cardiologists to provide a continuum of care between referring facilities and UNC REX Hospital. Our transport services include Specialty Care Transport (SCT) and Advanced Life Support (ALS) transportation to and from UNC REX Hospital, UNC Hospitals, affiliates and other regional facilities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Our CCT teams consist of an EMT, a Critical Care Paramedic and a Critical Care Nurse who are specialty trained and equipped to manage patients suffering from cardiac arrest, STEMI, CVA, respiratory failure, sepsis, trauma, high-risk obstetrical, pediatrics and other critical patients.
Critical care ambulances strategically split coverage between the Raleigh and Smithfield bases and will also serve the Holly Springs area Fall 2021.
Summary:The EMT/Basic Critical Care Transport position requires the EMT to transfer injured or critically ill patients between hospitals and other healthcare facilities. Ability to adapt to new skills and information is essential to succeed in this role. This position is physically demanding and requires excellent driving and customer service skills along with some computer skills. It is essential that EMTs in this capacity are comfortable with providing out-of-hospital care and willing to learn new skills to facilitate the transfer of patients.
1. Maintains an environment of safety for patients, self and others and supports patient safety initiatives.
2. Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. Attends 75% of departmental continuing education.
3. Identifies expected patient outcomes. Assists the RN or Paramedic as needed in revision of plan of care. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care. Communicates effectively via the 800 radio using clear speech and professionalism.
4. Demonstrates competence in assisting the RN or Paramedic with the care of patients with complex problems, including population-appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Utilizes healthcare organization and departmental, policies, protocols, and procedures in delivery of care. Assists in determining the best mode of transportation for the patient. Operates Rex Hospital patient transport vehicles and ambulances in a safe manner and in accordance with Rex Hospital policies and North Carolina State law, without exception.
5. With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. participates in promoting cost-effective care. Gives feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean, and secure care environment for all.
6. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs of the patient. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates care of individual patients within scope of practice set forth by the NC Office of Emergency Medical Services.
7. Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
● High School diploma or GED
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years experience as an EMT
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. IT Skills: Ability to work effectively in Word, Excel and various report writing programs. Ability to create reports, analyze data and make sound business decisions based on appropriate information sources. Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Critical Care Transport
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 4.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.