Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 43153
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Assists dentists in all aspects of dental care delivery, including advanced or specialized dental assistant duties.
1. Take impressions for study models and opposing casts which will not be used for construction of dental appliances, but which may be used for the fabrication of adjustable orthodontic appliances.
2. Apply sealants to teeth that do not require mechanical alteration prior to the application of such sealants, provided a dentist has examined the patient and prescribed the procedure.
3. Insert matrix bands and wedges, Place cavity bases and liners, Place and/or remove rubber dams.
4. Cement temporary restorations using temporary cement; Apply acid etch materials/rinses; Apply bonding agents; Remove periodontal dressings; Remove sutures; Place gingival retraction cord; Remove excess cement; Flush, dry and temporarily close root canals; Place and remove temporary restorations.
5. Place and tie or untie and remove orthodontic arch wires; Insert interdental spacers; Fit (size) orthodontic bands or brackets.
6. Apply dentin desensitizing solutions; Perform extra-oral adjustments which affect function, fit or occlusion of any temporary restoration or appliance; Initially form and size orthodontic arch wires and place arch wires after final adjustment and approval by the dentist.
7. Polish the clinical crown using only: (A) a hand-held brush and appropriate polishing agents; or (B) a combination of a slow speed hand piece (not to exceed 10,000 rpm) with attached rubber cup or bristle brush, and appropriate polishing agents.
● Successful completion of a CODA-accredited dental assisting program
● OR meet the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners requirements for a Dental Assistant II (http://ncdentalboard.org/PDF/North%20Carolina%202015%20SFB%20Updated.pdf)
● OR Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) certification
● North Carolina Dental Assistance X-Ray certification
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
● Meet the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners requirements for a Dental Assistant II (http://ncdentalboard.org/PDF/North%20Carolina%202015%20SFB%20Updated.pdf)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of clinical experience as a dental assistant.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH-Oral Medicine
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.