Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 43826
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Central Processing Department seeks Per Diem Central Sterile Technicians to join their fast pace department for the Main Hospital and Ambulatory Surgery Center in Chapel Hill.
Positions at Main Campus:
Central Processing Department (CPD) comprises the service within the hospital in which medical/surgical instrumentation are cleaned, prepared, processed, stored, and issued for patient care. CPD at UNC Medical Center manages over 3,000 trays for the operating rooms, hospital based clinics, Vascular Interventional Radiology, Radiation Oncology, Labor and Delivery. An average daily need for the Operating Rooms is in excess of 400 trays with an average of 7 instrument trays per case. In addition CPD processes all intubation kits for the entire hospital and all vendor trays.
Currently seeking per diem candidates. This is an at-will position requiring the ability to work weekends Sat/Sun a minimum of 16 hour a week. Must be able to complete required hospital orientation (Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm).
Positions at Ambulatory Surgery Center:
Located on the 1st floor of the Ambulatory Care Center (ACC) building off of Mason Farm Road, the Ambulatory Surgery Center specializes in Outpatient Procedures and is comprised of 6 Operating Rooms, 2 Procedure Rooms, and a 10 bed Short Stay Unit. Annually we preform approximately 6,000 procedures primarily in the Orthopedic sports medicine, ENT, and General surgery specialties.
This is a Per Diem/ at-will position requiring the ability to work a minimum of 10 hour a week. Must be able to complete required hospital orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm)
Weekday Evening 10%
Weekday Night 10%
Sat/Sun Day 5%
Sat/Sun Evening 15%
Sat/Sun Night 15%
*Day Shift 7am - 3pm = no premium
* Evening Shift 3pm - 11pm
* Night Shift 11pm - 7am
Must work 4 hours into Shift.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Processes and issues routine and specialized medical/surgical supplies and instruments used in the care and treatment of patients. Cleans, high-level disinfects/sterilizes, and packages medical and surgical instrument trays and inventories.
1. Assembles baskets of instruments, basin sets and equipment using appropriate check lists and prepares for sterilization.
2. Assembles sets of supplies and instruments used in a variety of clinical settings. Checks for cleanliness and functionality (i.e. sharpness of scissors, smooth movement of hinged instruments, etc.)
3. Decontaminates, disinfects and thoroughly cleans supplies, instruments and equipment used in a variety of procedures.
4. Distributes instruments, equipment and supplies to appropriate location.
5. Monitors and maintains adequate levels of supplies, instruments and equipment.
6. Monitors equipment for malfunctions. Makes minor repairs. Notifies appropriate staff of need for more major repairs.
7. Demonstrates proficiency in reprocessing and maintenance of endoscopes and other endoscopic equipment per high-level disinfection (HLD) policy and manufacturer instructions (IFU). Maintain scope washers and washer adapters. Check detergent levels and effectiveness of disinfectant as per policy. Effectively communicates information regarding scope repairs, loaners, supplies and QI information by maintaining documentation of all actions. Wears PPE as per policy, maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing, and communicates effectively equipment failures and needed repairs. Accurately records data in appropriate logs.
8. Interacts with equipment according to manufacturer guidelines demonstrating a thorough knowledgeable of instrument and equipment IFUs and processes instruments.
9. Wears PPE as per policy.
10. Maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing and communicates equipment failures and needed repairs effectively.
11. Accurately records data in appropriate logs.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No experience required.
● If position is located at UNC Medical Center or Rex Hospital, nine months' experience as a sterile tech is required.
● If graduation from a sterile processing school, no experience is required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Central Processing Department
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 16.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
View the Federal Workplace poster.