Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 38948
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
*This position qualifies for our Nursing Support Incentive Program. The Nursing Support Incentive Program includes $5,000 paid over a three (3) year commitment. Learn more about the program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-unc-rex-nursing-support-incentive-program
Nursing Assistant II + Clerical (Clinical Support Tech II) needed for ENT/Neurosurgery Acute Care Unit at UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill, NC. This is a 24-bed unit caring for patients who are primarily post-operative. The ENT patient population typically present with head and neck malignancies, often requiring glossectomies, radical neck dissections, free and rotational flaps, thyroidectomies, tracheostomies, and laryngectomies. Our Neurosurgery patients typically present with brain and spinal injuries, brain tumors, and stroke. Our team prides itself on leading the way in patient care through collaboration, compassion, competence, and continuous encouragement. Through interdisciplinary partnerships and a strong focus on sustaining a positive, healthy work environment, we consistently provide excellent, patient-centered Carolina Care. You will be able to utilize all of your NAII skills in this role!
Our unit has received two consecutive Gold Beacon Awards for Excellence. The AACN created the Beacon designation to recognize individual units that have set a path to excellence in an effort to highlight units that distinguish themselves in every facet of patient care. Recipients of a Beacon designation demonstrate excellence in sustained unit performance and patient outcomes.
This is a 36 hours per week position; working 12 hour rotating shifts (7am-7:30pm and 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. This position qualifies for an extensive STATE benefit package including PTO hours, which are accrued based on the number of worked hours. This position requires the ability to attend a week long Hospital Orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm) which is offered every two weeks.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Clinical Support Technician II is responsible for assisting the professional caregiver in the delivery of patient care, transporting patient and / or equipment, setting up and maintaining patient rooms, and performing a wide range of clerical, transcription, and maintenance of the patient care unit desk area functions. Performs patient care requiring clinical and procedural knowledge and skills requiring the use of sterile techniques, infusion monitoring, and medical equipment. Coordinates the flow of communications on the patient care unit. The Clinical Support Technician II may or may not be given a defined patient care assignment based on unit needs and the discretion of the manager / charge nurse. Tracks supply inventory, orders supplies and special items. Assists unit with clerical and administrative support including PI audits and data entry.
1. Assist physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies.
2. Critically review patient care documentation making note of any significant changes in the patient's condition and make an immediate report to a registered nurse or physician.
3. Provide a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to organizing and prioritizing workload, greeting and directing visitors, researching information as requested by nurses and physicians, reviewing orders for logic and clarity, revising orders as requested by the nurse, answering the telephone/ patient call lights, transcribing physician orders, and maintaining medical records. Perform routine quality assurance audits, safety checks, and inventory of supplies.
4. Provide administrative and clerical support including PI audits and data entry
5. Provide clinical support assistance to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, maintaining office equipment, troubleshooting common software and hardware problems, changing linens, checking supply inventory, re-stocking supplies, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, and assisting in the orientation of new employees and students.
6. Provide direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, assisting with ambulation. Measure and record vital signs, and patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage. Performs Oxygen room set-up and monitors oxygen flow-rate, performs oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning, tracheostomy care, fecal impaction removal, sterile dressing change wound irrigation, IV fluid assembly and monitoring, IV site care and discontinue peripheral IV, ostomy irrigation and care, urinary catheterization and irrigation, performs established oral, nasogastric, gastrostomy tube feeding
7. Reinforce routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers
● High School diploma or GED
● Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of clerical or customer service experience and six (6) months of related nursing assistant experience, which may include a nursing assistant course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must be fluent in verbal and written English language. Capability to develop computer skills if not competent.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: 7 Neurosciences
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
View the Federal Workplace poster.