Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 43626
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The purpose of this position is to provide ongoing support and expertise through comprehensive assessment, planning, implementation and overall evaluation of individual patient needs. The overall goal of the position is to enhance the quality of patient management and satisfaction, to promote continuity of care and cost effectiveness through the integrating and functions of case management, utilization review and discharge planning. The Inpatient Care Management Social Worker must be highly organized professional with great attention to detail, adaptable to frequent change, and compliant with regulatory and departmental guidelines and policies.
This position will also accept applicants with an RN license.
· Responsibility for the management of medical, psychiatric and/or socially complex patient populations for assigned hospitals to promote effective utilization of hospital resources, ensure processes support appropriate reimbursement for services rendered, support efficient patient throughput, and ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations related to case management services.
· Conduct Clinical Assessments over the phone and in-person to address the physical and social needs of patients
· Provides patient/care partner(s) education regarding prevention /recognition /treatment of disease exacerbation and promote self-management of the medically complex patient.
· Communicates with the patients other care providers in more complex situations requiring case management intervention.
· Serves as a subject matter expert to clinicians to provide education, consultation, and training when needed
· Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team, such as the physician, nurses, patients, social work and other members of the health care team, including continuum of care settings and community. Continually monitors patient/family response to plan of care and revises the care plan as indicated.
· Carries a caseload of patients while in the inpatient setting and potentially in the community as designated by management that could span the ED/ Observation, in-patient, post-acute and transitional care settings.
· One goal is to improve handoffs and communication between the complex care team and community providers and organizations.
· The Complex Case Manager (CCC)uses specific strategies to prevent readmissions, ED visits, and long lengths of stay.
· Responsible for tracking Complex Case List and hold weekly team consults as needed.
· Provides targeted interventions to avoid hospitalization and emergency room visits. Coordinate care across settings and helps patient/families understand health care options. Collaborates and communicates patient findings to primary care provider, Care Coordination Team, and healthcare providers, identified care-partner(s) as appropriate across various health care settings via timely, accurate, and clear communication modalities.
· Address barriers to care: Ex: if the patients barrier to care is guardianship, the complex care manager would assist with filing for guardianship. If the barrier is a dementia unit, the complex Care Manager might visit local dementia units to build relationships and search for the most appropriate placement.
· Improve handoffs: Ex: If we have a high ED utilizer the CCC might help the patient to establish a PCP and monitor compliance for a 30 day time period.
· Utilize evidenced based risk stratification tools to proactively assess chronically ill populations, identify patients at risk for disease -related consequences and deliver patient centered evidence-based interventions to prevent future progression or exacerbation of illness.
· To help develop handoff process with our team from the inpatient to the post-acute provider level.
· To help develop Targeted length of stay (LOS) processes and projects.
· There is some weekend and On-Call rotation responsibilities.
Education and Qualifications
· Ability to work a flexible schedule
· Strong written and oral communication skills required
· The ability and willingness to work well in independently
· Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Must be a self-starter with excellent critical thinking skills
● Master's degree in Social Work (MSW) from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
● No licensure required at this time
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of medical care management experience as a Social Worker.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong assessment and critical thinking skills.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Case Management Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
View the Federal Workplace poster.