Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 45140
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides customer services and schedule services and performs phlebotomy within the UNC Rex Laboratory departments.
1) Wears appropriate PPE at all times. Replaces PPE that is soiled or damaged. Maintains a professional work area throughout the shift. Ensures at the end of the shift that supplies are restocked, bench tops and any soiled areas are cleaned.
2) Demonstrates appropriate Customer Service skills when answering the phone, taking and giving messages, transferring calls and reporting laboratory results verbally and/or by fax. Ensures communication with coworkers is done in a professional manner. Works collaboratively with all areas to ensure accuracy and completeness of procedures and processes. Answers telephone within three (3) rings and provides information to optimize laboratory communication. Notifies doctor, nurse or unit staff if collection will be delayed or cancelled.
3) Maintains proficiency in both the Hospital ADT system and the LIS/IT computer programs. Registers patients and orders test in appropriate computer system as required. Keeps current with insurance updates and software changes. Receives and places orders for laboratory services. Retrieves laboratory results from hospital EMR for physicians and patients.
4) Obtains demographic information from patients or from the laboratory requisition. Enters accurate information into the appropriate information system. Completes all federal and regulatory forms required for the registration process including obtaining signed consents and financial agreements. Orders laboratory tests directly into the electronic medical record.
5) Performs specimen collection by venipuncture, fingerstick and culture techniques as required following documented policies and procedures. Provides instructions for patients and customers regarding appropriate specimen collections. Verifies specimen requirements and appropriate collection procedures prior to specimen collection. Maintains positive patient identification throughout the collection process. Collects urine and blood alcohol specimens in compliance with documented chain of custody procedures. Assures appropriate forms are utilized with complete and accurate information and documentation.
6) Registers Outreach specimens according to standard operating procedure. Sorts courier drop offs and documents on received log. Registers specimens and orders appropriate test. Accurately labels specimens according to standard operating procedures. Follows proper protocol to ensure the integrity of all laboratory specimens.
7) Maintains departmental supplies and inventory. Prepares solutions, reagents and stains following standard operating procedures. Alerts appropriate staff of inventory concerns. Uses reagents with shorter expiration before using those with longer expiration dates. Ensures samples and reagents are stored in the appropriate location and are discarded at the proper intervals.
8) Responsible for training, education and required reading. Assists in training and education of new and fellow employees. Responsible for reading procedures during training and subsequent revisions. Must document review of revised and new standard operating procedures prior to the approval date. Expected to assist with writing, revising and validating of standard operating procedures as requested. Responsible for review and acknowledgement of mandatory policies, job description and completion of annual safety training within the time frames established by the organization. Maintains continuing education requirement per year according to policy. Completes competency materials within established time period.
● High school or GED
● Phlebotomy certificate strongly preferred.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If high school diploma, one (1) year of phlebotomy experience required
● If graduation from a phlebotomy program, no previous experience is required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex BR Onc Infusion Lab
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
View the Federal Workplace poster.