Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 42888
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
*This position qualifies for our Nursing Support Incentive Program. The Nursing Support Incentive Program includes $5,000 paid over a three (3) year commitment. Learn more about the program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-unc-rex-nursing-support-incentive-program
Nursing Assistant I for General Medicine Acute Care - 8 Bedtower. Our 31-bed unit provides care for family & general medicine with a heavy focus on geriatric nursing care. As part of our commitment to the geriatric population, we host a series of events every year for Older Americans' Month. 8 Bedtower utilizes a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary approach in a patient and family centered care environment. We also work closely with the Palliative Care Team. We provide a supportive work atmosphere with nurses committed to excellent health care and collegial interactions. In addition, we also enjoy a top tier employee satisfaction rating!
This is a 36 hours per week position; working 12 hour rotating shifts (7am-7:30pm and 7pm-7:30am) with weekend and holiday rotation. This position qualifies for an extensive benefit package including PTO hours, which are accrued based on the number of worked hours. This position requires the ability to attend a week long orientation (Monday through Friday, 7:30am-5:00pm) which is offered every two weeks.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides routine direct and indirect patient care in a hospital, clinic or home health care setting. All work performed is under the direct supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
1. Assist physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies during emergency situations.
2. In the psychiatric setting, aids patients in reality orientation, participates in behavior modification plans/therapy, provides informal support therapy to patients/families, provides verbal de-escalation of potentially aggressive patients, aids in the physical management of aggressive/out-of-control patients, facilitates age appropriate play for children, and monitors the therapeutic milieu activities on assigned unit to ensure that emotional and safety needs of patients are met.
3. Observes, collects, and documents patient information obtained while providing care and promptly report significant changes in the patient's condition to a registered nurse or physician.
4. Provides assistance to patients and their families during admission to the clinical area, orientation to the hospital/clinic/home health experience, and discharge
5. Provides care/ treatments to patients as outlined in plan of care including, but not limited to, the measurement of vital signs, height and weight, specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, postural drainage, and supportive 11 patient and family interactions.
6. Provides direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care for routine activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, feeding and assisting with ambulation.
7. Provides indirect care to patients and assigned area to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, changing linens, re-stocking supplies, cleaning/sterilizing instruments, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, assisting in the orientation of new employees and students, and some routine clerical functions.
8. Reinforces routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers.
● High School diploma or GED
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) months of relevant nursing assistant experience, which may include a nursing assistant course
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Fluent in verbal and written English language and able to develop basic computer skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: 8 Bedtower
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
View the Federal Workplace poster.