Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 44193
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Maintenance Supervisor develops, plans, implements and completes maintenance projects and programs at UNC Health Care System. This position ensures compliance in maintenance throughout the UNC Health Care System.
1. Coordinates the flow of work or services between Facilities departments, and assists in the resolution of inter- and intra-departmental operating problems. Maintains safety and health standards to ensure compliance with Joint Commission on accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), local, state and federal codes and regulations, and UNC HCS policies.
2. Estimates job requirements, including staffing, equipment, parts, materials and supplies for designated work unit. Monitors work activity levels to ensure proper staffing and other resources are properly allocated. Responsible for managing contractors in area of responsibility.
3. Performs administrative activities, including preparation of special and periodic reports to management as needed and requested adherence to financial data, budgetary information, maintenance charge backs and other data initiating and preparing forms and records, including payroll records, work orders, inventory records, personnel records, material requisitions, and other documents.
4. Procures parts and services for area of responsibility. Oversees the safe operation and use of various types of mechanical and power driven equipment. Inspects maintenance equipment and facilities to ensure that the maintenance objectives of the Division are being fully realized.
5. Responds to and resolves inquiries from the public, patients, and UNC HCS staff. Monitors the effectiveness of preventive maintenance programs and provides information about new equipment and technology for program updates.
6. Responsible for planning, scheduling, training, and supervising maintenance personnel, group leaders and other workers in the completion of their duties. Assists director in interviewing, selection, promotion and evaluation of applicants and employees according to UNC HCS policies and procedures.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
● Dependent upon area of assignment.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If assigned to General Maintenance: Ten years of progressive maintenance experience (five years of experience must be in a supervisory capacity or equivalent role which included Lead responsibilities) in the installation, maintenance, and repair of physical plant facilities. In addition, must also meet the requirements of HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, or Electronics Shop, or a combination of requirements and certifications as appropriate for the level of Supervision assigned. Duties performed requiring certification, must be signed off by credentialed maintenance employee.
● If assigned to HVAC: Ten years of progressive experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC, air handling, chiller, chilled water distribution, refrigeration and control systems, including progressive experience in problem solving and system troubleshooting. Experience shall also demonstrate an understanding of HVAC, Refrigeration, and chilled water system maintenance, installation, standards, and methods as used within an institutional or hospital environment. Total experience must also include three years (minimum) experience at an HVAC Technician level, or equivalent, which included
lead or supervisory responsibilities. CFC certification is required for all levels of work performed to meet EPA Type I, II, III or Universal Technician requirements as referenced in 40 CFR part 82, subpart F. Also requires N.C. Heating Contractors, Group 2 and Group 3 Class I license or N.C. Heating Contractors, Group 2 and N.C. Refrigeration Contractors license.
● If assigned to Plumbing: Ten years of progressive experience in performing the full range of journeyman level tasks associated with plumbing work, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires a N.C. Master Plumbing license. Also requires within two years of hiring the following additional licenses and certifications: (1)
Certified to maintain Medical Gas, (2) Limited Fire Sprinkler Maintenance License, and (3) Certified in Cross Connection (back-flows).
● If assigned to Electrical: Ten years of progressive experience in facility maintenance or construction, including general maintenance, electrical systems maintenance and installation, with an understanding of electrical systems maintenance and construction standards and methods as used within an institutional or hospital environment. Requires a minimum of a Limited Electrician’s license issued by the NC Board of Examiners
● If assigned to Electronics Shop: Requires ten years progressive experience in complex electronic systems maintenance, installation and repair, including fire detection and suppression systems, communications systems and television systems. Experience must include extensive knowledge of electronic theory, system application, electrical and electronic circuitry and electronic devices and equipment. Prefers either graduation from a Technical or Community college or Institute (2-year program minimum) with a degree / diploma in electronics or related technical field, or NICET Fire Alarm Systems Level II Certification. In lieu of a degree or NICET certification, 4 years of additional experience for a degree or 2 years of additional experience for each NICET level not obtained will be considered acceptable for meeting the minimum requirements.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Knowledge of a variety of maintenance systems
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Maintenance
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.