Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 37833
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
New Graduate RN needed for the ENT/Neurosurgery Acute Care Unit at UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill, NC. This is a 36 hours/week, day/night and weekend rotation, with flexible self-scheduling and an extensive State benefit package. Attaching a resume showing your clinical rotations with the hours of those rotations, as well as a cover letter indicating your primary area of clinical interest is strongly encouraged.
More to Explore with UNC Health: Start a career with UNC Health where we provide a solid medical-surgical nursing foundation and help you to grow into an area or specialty of interest (e.g. ICU, ED, L&D). This program offers an intentional pathway and structured orientation to help you meet your professional goals and offers hands-on training, shadowing experiences, and interactive coursework.
The ENT/Neurosurgery Acute Care Unit is a 24-bed unit caring for patients who are primarily post-operative. The ENT patient population typically present with head and neck malignancies, often requiring glossectomies, radical neck dissections, free and rotational flaps, thyroidectomies, tracheostomies, and laryngectomies. Our Neurosurgery patients typically present with brain and spinal injuries, brain tumors, and stroke. Our team prides itself on leading the way in patient care through collaboration, compassion, competence, and continuous encouragement. Through interdisciplinary partnerships and a strong focus on sustaining a positive, healthy work environment, we consistently provide excellent, patient-centered Carolina Care. Working on this unit will provide you opportunities to utilize many skills including, but not limited to, drains, airway care, nasogastric/gastric tubes, foley catheters and much more.
Our unit has received two consecutive Gold Beacon Awards for Excellence. The AACN created the Beacon designation to recognize individual units that have set a path to excellence in an effort to highlight units that distinguish themselves in every facet of patient care. Recipients of a Beacon designation demonstrate excellence in sustained unit performance and patient outcomes.
For the new graduate nurse, we provide a nurturing and supportive environment tailored to the individual learning needs of each new team member. By frequently communicating with the new hire and preceptor throughout the precepting period, we help ensure you have the skills and support you need to thrive. Our experienced preceptors, many who have been new graduate nurses on the unit themselves, help facilitate and encourage active mentoring and social outings with fellow new graduate nurses. We also provide ample educational and professional growth opportunities.
This opportunity is for a new grad nurse who is currently in their final semester of nursing school or who have graduated from nursing school within the past 12 months of the anticipated start date and have worked as an RN for less than 6 months. It is expected that applicants will have their RN license and be able to practice in North Carolina prior to the first day of employment. New Graduate Nurses are part of the UNC Medical Center Residency Program (NRP). This program is a yearlong program supporting transition from academia to practice for new graduate nurses. The program is layered on top of orientation to provide mentored clinical relationships which support development as a professional nurse.
Provides competent clinical nursing care consistent with professional standards. Reporting and accountable to the Nurse Manager/Director, the Clinical Nurse is responsible for coordinating and delivering patient care utilizing the nursing process in a hospital setting.
1. Education - Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. With assistance, uses patient education materials relevant to patient population. Assesses readiness to learn of the patient/family/caregivers. Assesses developmental level of patient and factors affecting ability to learn.
2. Evaluation of Care - Identifies expected patient outcomes. Seeks guidance as needed in revision of plan of care. Participates in discussion with members of the interdisciplinary team in evaluation of patient care. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care.
3. Implementation - Demonstrates competence in care of patients with complex problems, including population-appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan. Utilizes healthcare organization and nursing standards, policies and procedures in delivery of care. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion regarding patients with complex care issues, unusual teaching needs and/or those at high risk for discharge planning.
4. Leadership - With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. Participates in promoting cost-effective care. Gives feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean and secure hospital environment for all
5. Patient Assessment - Recognizes data from complex situations to determine priorities for care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates discharge needs of individual patients and families. Develops relationships with families that promote their ability to advocate for the patient and their own needs.
6. Planning - Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Begins to use full range of communication as a means to convey planning. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
7. Research - Reads journals that contain studies or articles that may be applicable to practice. Brings ideas and questions to the staff at large for assessment of applicability.
● Graduation from a school of professional nursing.
● If hired after January 6, 2014, must be enrolled within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina by the day of clinical care.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: 7 Neurosciences
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.