Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 45113
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs general security work in the protection of persons and property. Provides support with enforcement of UNC Health security and safety regulations. Prepares reports and maintains proficiency in the department’s current report writing system. Gathers information, including video monitoring. Serves in specialized unit assignments and assists the organization to ensure adherence of applicable
federal, state and local laws.
1. Communications Communicates effectively via two-way radio, computer, email, telephone and via verbal communications within the Hospital Police Department, as well as with other law enforcement agencies, Hospital staff members, visitors and patients.
2. Emergency Response Assist with mental health patient custody issues and also assist in both arranging transportation to other facilities as well as escorting patients to units in house within the Hospitals. Provides immediate response for calls for assistance in dealing with patient, visitor or employee behavior issues and provides backup for Hospital police officers dealing with those situations. Responds to smoke, trouble or fire alarms as required. Participates as a functioning part of the Emergency Response Team to provide or prevent access to the involved area as required in emergency situations at the Hospital. Assist Hospital Police Officers as required in the removal of unauthorized persons from Hospital property. Maintains a working knowledge of emergency codes and Hospital police response procedures. Responds appropriately and in a timely manner to any and all emergency situations as well as activated security alarms.
3. Fixed Post Functions Emergency Department-Controls patient and visitor entry as appropriate into the E.D. Operates metal screening system to prevent weapons or other contraband from entering the patient treatment area. Maintains parking lot surveillance to assure safety and ensure parking availability for E.D. customers. Night Entrance- Controls the entrance of visitors and employees after hours at the Hospitals designated night entrance as well as screens for proper authorization and identification. Staffs other posts as needed.
4. Investigations and Incident Report Writing- Complete trespass, patient intervention and use of force reports with complete narrative into departmental records management system. Takes custody of items found, secures them properly and attempts to return property. Initiates risk assessments on D.O.C. inmates, patients and employees as required.
5. Patrol Submits daily activity logs/reports before the end of the shift unless approved otherwise by the supervisor. Is knowledgeable of the security sensitive areas identified in the Security Mg plan and patrol area policy. Escorts employees, patients and visitors to parking areas. Provides after-hours access to secured areas for authorized personnel. Collects inventories and secures patient property when cashiers' office is not open. Patrols assigned area and properly documents/reports security or safety hazards. Locks/unlocks designated doors. Assures deceased bodies are entered and properly released from the morgue with proper ID. Transports patient commitment documents to the Magistrates' office. Interacts with personnel in patrol areas and challenges all suspicious persons encountered. Completes/documents the required number of patrols as specified by the Shift Lieutenant or Sergeant. Intervenes and redirects persons observed to be in violation of the UNC Health Care Tobacco-Free Workplace policy.
6. Traffic Control Conducts parking surveys when requested or required. Enforces applicable parking regulations. Initiates towing of vehicles as required. Reports malfunction of citation writing equipment to the proper persons so as to assure they are repaired. Patrols areas of responsibility and writes citations to illegally parked or unauthorized vehicles in a proactive manner.
● High School diploma or GED
● Valid North Carolina Driver's license
● CPR Certification prior to completion of 12 months of employment.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires one (1) year of previous work experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must be proficient in oral and written communication. Basic computer skills.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Protective Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
View the Federal Workplace poster.