Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 46422
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Medical Assistant III, Certified provides advanced clinical, leadership and administrative support to providers and other health care team members. Works under the clinical supervision of the provider for patient care activities, and under the general direction of the designated manager/supervisor.
This position is eligible for a $5000 commitment incentive paid out over 3 years.
1. Performs rooming and/or intake process, collecting and data, including vital signs, height, weight, and data related to patient’s reason for visit.
2. Collects patient and family data, including medical and social history.
3. Reviews patient’s current medication list, allergies and preferred pharmacy. Administers medications.
4. Assists the provider as directed, during treatments, examinations and procedures.
5. Collects specimens and performs phlebotomy.
6. Performs tests, for examples EKG, eye exams, and may assist with advanced procedures under the direction of a provider.
7. Reviews the patient record to determine whether patient requires any routine health screenings.
8. Ensures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms and educational materials are available and ready for use during visit/procedure.
9. Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed.
10. Prepares, cleans, stocks and maintains exam and treatment rooms. Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
11. Responsible for ordering clinic supplies.
12. Assists with patient registration, check in/check out, appointment scheduling, and scheduling of tests and treatments, and referrals. Answers clinic telephone and assists in-basket under the direction of a provider or nurse.
13. Assists in emergency situations as directed by a provider or nurse.
14. Assists the physician with maintaining preventive health measures for a panel of patients.
15. Performs clinic based quality or safety role (ex. clinic safety coordinator, performs required medication or other audits).
16. Maintains clinic quality databases or registries, such as immunization registry, immunization or medication registry.
17. Serves as subject matter expert and/or resource for departmental business unit, may include: Answering questions related to business unit; Resolving issues or complaints; Escalating issues to management that cannot be resolved by the team; Recommending suggestions for improvement
18. Serves as communications point of contact, may include: Participating in scheduled staff meetings and/or huddles; Providing management with status updates regarding team activities; Disseminating information to team
19. Serves as point of contact for scheduling/triaging, may include: Remaining aware of team requests for time off to assure appropriate coverage at all times; Developing coverage plan, notifying staff involved when team members are out; Triaging assignments to staff based on coverage needs or complexity of tasks which may require assessment of individual skill level to perform tasks
20. Interviews and orients new employees, may include: Attending Hiring for Excellence (HFE) training; Participating in candidate interviews and hiring decisions using HFE processes; Creating schedule and acting as preceptor for orientation of new employee; Tracks orientation progress and amends schedule as needed; Trains other medical assistants in routine clinic procedures; Provides verbal and written feedback on trainee’s progress
21. Provides leadership on policies, procedures, training, and education to include: Being fully knowledgeable of policies and able to educate others on necessary changes in practice; Acting as a role model and advocate for compliance with policies and procedures; Assessing staff training needs and working with supervisor on training and development programs; Assisting with dissemination of information, education, and outreach materials to supporting training and development efforts; Tracking training progression and relaying training needs to supervisor; Scheduling training sessions; Updating LMS classes as applicable; Preparing ARC requests for signoff for system access and obtaining management signature
22. Serves as Referral Coordinator, Care Manager, or assists supervisor/manager/provider to maintain clinic patient flow. Proficient in advanced clinic procedures and/or clinical skills. In conjunction with supervisor, coordinates the schedules and daily assignments of other clinical support staff. Serves as clinic Kaizen Coach, or facilitates Purple Belt or A3 Project to improve quality or efficiency in the clinic.
● Requires high school diploma or GED.
● Completion of a Medical Assisting program accredited by either the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accreditation Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is strongly preferred but not required.
● Requires Medical Assistant certification by either the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), National Health Career Association (CCMA), National Association of Health Professionals (NRCMA), or National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA).
● Basic Life Support Certification from American Heart Association required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires at least two years’ experience as a medical assistant.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
● Demonstrated ability to engage positively with patients and families and to work as a team with staff and providers.
● Ability to use a computer to document required information into the electronic medical record.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Vascular Raleigh
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.