Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 47651
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The PSA will primarily provide either 1:1 or 1:2 care for patients who meet criteria and require sitter services. The PSA will be a certified nursing assistant. In the absence of sitter needs, the PSA will be assigned to a designated unit to work as a nursing assistant providing care to multiple patients.
1. Maintains an environment of safety for patients, self and others and supports patient safety initiatives as demonstrated by following positive patient identification procedures, performing hand hygiene per policy, using PPE appropriately, demonstrating correct body mechanics and utilizing safe lifting equipment and slide sheets. Follows falls risk monitoring protocol every two hours for patients at risk for falling. When providing 1:1 or 1:2 care for patients who meet criteria for sitter services the PSA will adhere to the Suicide policy, to include document requirements and the Sitter Expectations and Responsibilities.
2. Answers signal lights, bells, or intercom system to determine patients' needs as demonstrated by responding promptly to all alarms including bathroom, bed/chair exit alarms, and emergency alarms. Rounds hourly to anticipate requests and meet customer needs before being asked. Accurately relays information regarding patient needs to RN or US in a timely manner.
3. Performs activities of daily living for or with patients as demonstrated by assuring patient personal hygiene needs are met including mouth care and foley care. Provides for patient safety, comfort and privacy when performing responsibilities. Facilitates patient activity and ambulation as appropriate. Takes the initiative to turn non ambulatory patients every 2 hours.
4. Takes and records temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration rates, and food and fluid intake and output, as directed. Takes actual weights on admission and per protocol. Abnormal dynamap readings are verified with manual equipment. Patient data is entered into RCare in a timely manner as care is provided.
5. Promotes skin integrity as demonstrated by changing bed linens keeping linen clean, dry, wrinkle free and limited to one layer of linen. Utilizes slide sheets and keeps HOB less than 30 degrees, if appropriate, to reduce friction and shear. Uses skin care products appropriately.
6. Keeps patient rooms neat and orderly. Removes food trays after meals. Wipes up spills. Empties bedside commodes, hats, and urinals. Removes soiled linens from rooms and does not store excess linen in rooms. At end of shift, empties all foley catheters/drains, records all intake and output, passes ice, empties trash in assigned rooms, empties linen hampers and ensures that rooms are tidy.
7. Provides transport for patients to designated areas within the facility and promptly assists transport team with transfers. Completes errands with attention to priorities and promptly returns to unit. Reports appropriately to the nurse and other nursing assistants. Signs on the board at the nurse’s station when leaving the unit for breaks and plans for coverage.
8. Communicates pertinent patient information to appropriate person(s). Accurately relays information regarding patient needs and or any patient changes to the RN in a timely manner. Follows up with nurse throughout the shift regarding the status of all delegated tasks. Documents appropriately in RCare and on suicide documentation forms. All documentation is complete and accurate. Reports off to the RN and the oncoming NA prior to the end of shift.
● High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
● Requires NA I certification. Requires BLS certification.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One to two years previous related experience desired.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
● Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
● Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Patient Monitoring
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 4.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.