Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 48013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Evening Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position performs daily activities associated with the processing of laboratory specimens for diagnostic pathology under the direction of the Pathologists’ Assistant Supervisor and/or Pathologist Assistant. Receives specimens, documents the macroscopic descriptions and prepares low to moderate complexity surgical pathology specimens for processing.
1. Perform routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of surgical specimens for Histologic processing, according to policies and procedures. Assure appropriate specimen accessioning and labeling. Maintain the integrity of the specimen and patient identification. Gross specimens in direct view of the overhead cameras. Scan each specimen into Vantage software (if used) and print the associated bar coded cassettes for each case. Record measurements, weight, volume and any abnormal findings as applicable. Describe gross anatomic features of routine, uncomplicated surgical specimens, ensuring that all lesions, markings and sutures are mentioned using voice recognition software. Interprets physician instructions written on test requisition that is accompanying the specimens. Organize paperwork to pass on to Histology. Maintains Printmates.
2. Escalates non-routine, complicated surgical specimens to Pathologist Assistant and/or pathologist. Interact directly with Pathologists and/or Pathologist Assistants regarding gross dissection/description activities that require direct supervision. Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correct the problems or immediately notify the pathology supervisory, pathologist assistant, or pathologist director.
3. Maintains cleanliness of grossing area and perform scheduled maintenance. Keep all work surfaces free of debris and clutter. Keep all work surfaces clean with Microcide or Gross Room cleaner. Maintain supplies needed for the gross room accessioning & processing. Complete all associated paperwork (i.e. decal, ink, ultrasonic cleaner, etc.).
4. Maintain orderly storage of surgical specimens. Organize specimens according to department policies.
● Associates degree in a Science field (or equivalent) with a minimum of 24 credit hours in science related course studies, to include 6 credit hours of Biology, 6 credit hours of Chemistry, and an addition 12 credit hours in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics required.
● None required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Meets all requirements as outlined in 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to maintain accuracy in a fast-paced environment. Self-directed. Ability to work in a team setting. Knowledge of medical terminology.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Anatomic Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Evening Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
View the Federal Workplace poster.