Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 47901
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center Wakebrook
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Officers in this classification can operate under two different titles. The titles are Police Officer and Police Sergeant. The primary purpose of this position is to provide protection, law enforcement, and security services to Health care System patients, visitors and staff. People in this position investigate criminal acts on hospital grounds, protect life and property, patrol hospital buildings and grounds and prevent theft and vandalism.
1. Emergency Response- Responds appropriately and in a timely manner to any and all emergency situations as well as activated security and panic alarms. Participates as a functioning part of the Emergency Response Team to provide or prevent access to the involved area as required in emergency situations. Maintains a working knowledge of emergency codes and UNC Hospitals Police response procedures. Assist with mental health patient custody issues and also assists in both arranging transportation to other facilities as well as escorting patients to units within UNC Hospitals. Controls disruptive patients.
2. Fixed Post Functions Emergency Department/Hospital Concourse- Controls patient and visitor entry as appropriate into the E.D.Operates metal screening system to prevent weapons or other contraband from entering the patient treatment area. Controls the entrance of visitors and employees after hours at the UNC Hospitals designated night entrance as well as screens for proper authorization and identification.
3. Investigations and Incident Report Writing- Enters incident reports into the Police-Pak system in a complete, concise, and proper manner. Investigates and documents all incidents of a criminal nature, including follow up investigations. Apprehends and arrests criminals. Submits all paperwork for arrest, felony prosecution reports, and uniform citations in a timely manner. Runs criminal history checks and utilizes NCIC/DCI/CJLeads/NCAWARE. Takes custody of found items, secures them properly, and attempts to return property to its owner. Investigates lost/stolen/damaged property. Initiates risk assessments on D.O.C. inmates, patients, and employees as required. Assists and coordinates activities of outside police agencies. Follows departmental and NC criminal justice standards for the collection and maintenance of evidence.
4. Patrol- Patrols assigned areas to promote an absence of crime. Properly documents and reports security or safety hazards. Escorts employees, patients, and visitors to parking areas. Provides after hours access to secured areas for authorized personnel. Collects, inventories, and secures patient property when cashier?s office is not open. Maintains, compiles, and transports patient commitment documents to the magistrate?s office. Interacts with personnel in patrol areas and challenges all suspicious persons encountered. Assures that deceased bodies are entered with proper identification and properly released from the morgue. Serves warrants, orders, and subpoenas.
5. Policy and Procedures/General Statutes- Maintains a familiarity with departmental policies and procedures as well as hospital policies to include the Departmental Policy Manual, the Hospital Administrative Policy Manual, Environmental, Health, and Safety Policy Manual, and Human Resources Policy Manual. Must be able to locate the hard copy of the departmental manual as well as online copies of the others. Must have a good working knowledge of both Federal and N.C. Criminal Statues and be able to apply them as required in the course of investigations or while on patrol. Must have a working knowledge of what probable cause is and how it affects various arrest situations. Must understand the Use of Force Policy and apply force in the performance of duty in a proper and reasonable manner. Communicates effectively and in a timely manner with all appropriate members of the Police Dept. and Hospital Community.
6. Special Areas of Responsibility-Proactively manages specific assigned areas of responsibility to include the following Security sensitive area management, Light surveys, Airway box surveys, Panic alarm inspections, Access control inspections, Special events coordination, etc.
7. Traffic Control- Conducts parking surveys when requested or required. Enforces applicable parking regulations and writes citations to illegally parked or unauthorized vehicles in a ?proactive? manner. Initiates towing of vehicles as required.
● High School diploma or GED
● Successful completion of Basic Law Enforcement Training or the equivalent
● OC Spray (Pepper Spray) certification, TASER certification, Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) certification and CIT certification within the first nine (9) months of hire (the Probationary Period). Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) certification. Must qualify with a passing score with issued duty weapon on the department's qualification course of fire within the first six (6) months of hire (the Probationary Period).
● Must be at least 20 years old and be a US Citizen.
● Valid North Carolina Driver's license
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must have the ability to work a shift of duty from 550 am to 550 pm or 550 pm to 550 AM, Shifts may be changed to conform to the needs of the department. Must be able to write a computer generated report, using a computerized form, based on a short fact scenario, which will be provided. A Passing score is 70%, objective scoring based on content, grammar, spelling, etc.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center Wakebrook
Organization Unit: UNCH WakeBrook Security
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email applicant.accommodat[email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.