Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 48268
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Temporary Full Time
DescriptionNEW Student Nurse Externship for rising senior ADN & BSN nursing students. Opportunities available in our acute adult and pediatric medical-surgical units, only.
10 week program (May 30, 2023 - August 5, 2023) 24-36 hours per week available
The goal of the Student Nurse Externship experience is to provide undergraduate nursing students with an extended clinical experience to enhance their foundational nursing education.
To learn more about our acute adult and pediatric medical-surgical units, click here: https://www.uncmedicalcenter.org/app/files/public/bc1cba8a-6409-4b28-9bf0-3b2400192b8a/pdf-careers-nursing-Nurse%20Extern%20Depts.pdf
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
1. Identifies and prioritizes nursing needs of patients and families.
2. Makes sound clinical judgments, appropriate to current knowledge and skill level, while acknowledging limits of knowledge base and initiates steps to ensure safety.
3. Performs nursing interventions as noted on the multidisciplinary plan of care developed for patients within limits of the role and under direct supervision of RN Preceptor.
4. Observes, collects, and documents patient information obtained while providing care and promptly report significant changes in the patient's condition to RN Preceptor or Physician.
5. Assists patients and their families during admission to the clinical area, orientation to the hospital/clinic/home health experience, and discharge.
6. Provide direct personal care independently to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, and assisting with ambulation. Measure and record vital signs, patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage. Performs Oxygen room set-up and monitors oxygen flow rate, performs oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning, tracheostomy care, sterile dressing change wound irrigation for wounds that are 48 hours old, IV fluid assembly and monitoring, IV site care, and discontinue peripheral IV, ostomy care, and urinary catheterization. Performs established oral, nasogastric, and gastrostomy tube feedings.
7. Provides indirect care to patients and assigned areas including, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, changing linens, re-stocking supplies, and transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens.
8. Participates actively in discharge planning of patients, reinforces routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician, and documents patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers.
9. Participates actively during change of shift patient bedside report.
● Completion of junior (first year) level in a Professional ADN or BSN School of Nursing and evidence of active enrollment in a nursing school required
● Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
● Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● None required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Nursing Staffing Systems
Work Type: Temporary
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.