Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 49233
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The UNC Health REX Cardiac Procedural/ Cardiac Medicine Intermediate Care Unit is located on the 8th floor of the Heart and Vascular Hospital. This 24 bed unit provides intermediate level care to patients with cardiac conditions and multiple complex co-morbidities. This includes patients that have undergone pre-post cardiac and vascular interventions, heart attacks, r/o heart attacks, heart failure, and dysrhythmias requiring treatment or monitoring, as well as medical patients with a strong cardiac history. The staff on this unit serves adult and geriatric patients.
Each room is equipped with bedside monitors, computers, and scanners to support the provision of care to our complex cardiac patients.
On each of our units, care is provided through a team approach that includes nurses, care managers, APP’s, physicians, pharmacists, care managers, chaplains, patient care technicians and secretaries. Specialized technicians observe patient rhythms in the Telemetry Command Center providing support to the team and continual surveillance for rhythm changes.
Summary:The Cardiovascular Surveillance Technician assists the professional caregiver in the care of patients by monitoring cardiac rhythms. They may also watch pulse oximetry and perform EKG’s when necessary. The Cardio- Vascular Surveillance Technician ensures that Hospital's philosophy, standards, policies and procedures are met and maintained in a professional manner.
1. Adheres to policies, procedures, all safety plans, and all standards of the organizations.
2. Ensures patient safety at all times by notifying the nurse of any risk factors seen initiating and maintaining appropriate safety measures as outlined in policies and procedures.
3. Demonstrates proper performance of skills reflected and validated by the Monitor Technician competency checklist.
4. Documents and interprets patient’s heart rhythm and rate by utilizing telemetry recordings.
5. Obtains six second strip as indicated by patient condition and uploads strips for further evaluation.
6. Identifies patient arrhythmias/abnormalities or significant changes from baseline and reports changes immediately to the assigned nurse.
7. Monitors patient pulse oximetry as appropriate. Communicates changes from baseline and reports changes immediately to the assigned nurse.
8. Monitors patients cardiac rhythm and pulse oximetry in the intermediate care units and ICU’s as appropriate.
9. Educates staff and/or patients on cardiology technical procedures and equipment. Teaches telemetry principles to patients and family as needed. Precepts new telemetry technicians as necessary.
10. Operates cardiovascular diagnostic or therapeutic equipment as needed.
11. Prepares reports, inputs test results into database, and documents procedures as appropriate.
12. Exchanges routine information in an appropriate manner requiring good oral communication skills.
13. Ensures that all equipment is clean and in working order. Troubleshoots basic problems with equipment and refers it for resolution if unable to resolve the problem.
14. Properly plans/organizes work for assigned shift to properly utilize time, resources, manpower, supplies to ensure patient receives appropriate quality care.
● High School diploma or GED. Basic knowledge of Cardiac Rhythms and successful completion of EKG class preferred.
● BLS Certification Required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● At least six (6) months of clinical experience in a health care setting required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must be fluent in verbal and written English language. Capability to learn interpretation and respond protocols to ECG / SP 02 monitor system and to develop computer skills must be demonstrated if not competent must complete successful skills verification for ECG interpretation, monitor system, and HUC responsibilities within defined time parameters.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Telemetry Command Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.