Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 49750
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The schedule for this position is Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm with occasional weekends and holidays.
Works in collaboration with the patient/family, and interdisciplinary team (including physicians, other care providers, and payors), and assesses the patient care progression from acute care episode through post discharge for quality, efficiency, and effectiveness. The Utilization Manager works collaboratively with other Clinical Care Management staff to ensure patient needs are met and care delivery is coordinated across the continuum. The Utilization Manager completes admission, continued stay, and discharge reviews in accordance with federal regulations & the Hospitals? Utilization Management Plan. In addition, the Utilization Manager is responsible for revenue protection by reconciling physician orders, bed billing type, and medical necessity. This may include delivering notifications to patients directly. Interface is completed verbally, via email, data base tasks, or other electronic communication and via telephone.
1. Clinical Review Process - Uses approved criteria and conducts admission review/status change review within 24 hours of patient admission to the hospital to ensure appropriateness of the setting and timely implementation of the plan of care. Identifies and obtains observation status as appropriate. Partners with physicians, nursing, and other care providers to help ensure timely and accurate documentation of patient data and treatments. Communicates daily with the Case Manager to manage level of care transitions & appropriate utilization of services. Coordinates with the support center to assure third party payor pre-certification and/or re-certifications when required. Utilizes high risk screening criteria to make appropriate referrals to Manager.
2. Discharge Facilitation - Identifies patient/families with the complex psychosocial, on-going medical discharge planning issues, continuing care needs by initiating appropriate case management referrals. Initiates appropriate social work referrals.
3. Utilization Management Process - Performs utilization management assessments and interventions, using collaboration with interdisciplinary team approach, on assigned patients as appropriate to ensure optimal patient outcomes. Using approved criteria, conducts continued stay and quality reviews to monitor the patient's progress along the continuum of care and intervenes as necessary to ensure appropriateness of setting and that the services provided are quality-driven, efficient, and effective. Enters all pertinent review data into the correct computer system in a timely manner. Consults with Physician Advisor as necessary to resolve barriers through appropriate administrative and medical channels.
4. Utilization Outcomes Management - Monitors and guides to trend interdisciplinary documentation and guides medical staff in documentation that will assist in coding accuracy, enhance quality of care, reflect accurate severity of illness and appropriate reimbursement. Facilitates patient movement to appropriate (acuity) level of care including observation status issues through collaboration with patient/family, multidisciplinary team, third party payors and resource center. Provides information regarding denials and approvals to designated entities. Assists in coordination of practice parameter development with the assigned departments/sections/specialties of Medical Staff. Oversees collection and analysis of patient care and financial data relevant to the target case types. Directs delivery of notifications to patients (includes traveling to hospital(s) to deliver notifications.
● Graduation from a state-accredited school of professional nursing or other professional degree with appropriate clinical and/or project management experience.
● If hired after October 1, 2015, must be enrolled in an accredited program within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of clinical experience in a medical facility and/or comparable Utilization Management experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Care Mgmt-Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.