Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 45373
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
North Chapel Hill Surgery Center is seeking a Sterile Processing Tech to join their new Surgery Center. Anticipated opening March 2023.
North Chapel Hill Surgery Center is a free standing multi-specialty facility that is a joint venture between Rex and UNC Med Center. This facility has 2 operating rooms and 8 preop/PACU bays. It is located at 151 Old University Station Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27514.
Service lines: Ortho (sports med, hand, foot/ankle); Plastics; and Ophthalmology (ocular plastics).
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday - 6am to 6pm, with no weekends and no holidays.
This position is eligible for the North Chapel Hill Surgery Center Commitment Incentive Program:
The Sterile Processing Techs' hours will be 40 hours per week position. This position qualifies for an extensive benefit package including PTO hours, which are accrued based on the number of worked hours. This position requires the ability to attend a week long orientation (Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm) prior to the required training on the unit. Orientation is offered every two weeks. Unit training varies on the position and the individual.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Processes and issues
routine and specialized medical/surgical supplies and instruments used in the
care and treatment of patients. Cleans, high level disinfects/sterilizes, and
packages medical and surgical instrument trays and inventories. This level
recognizes the profession of Central Processing Technology staff for advanced
performance and leadership in the Perioperative setting.
1. Assembles baskets of instruments, basin sets and equipment using appropriate check lists and prepares for sterilization.
2. Assembles sets of supplies and instruments used in a variety of clinical settings. Checks for cleanliness and functionality (i.e. sharpness of scissors, smooth movement of hinged instruments, etc.)
3. Decontaminates, disinfects and thoroughly cleans supplies, instruments and equipment used in a variety of procedures.
4. Distributes instruments, equipment and supplies to appropriate location.
5. Monitors and maintains adequate levels of supplies, instruments and equipment.
6. Monitors equipment for malfunctions. Makes minor repairs. Notifies appropriate staff of need for more major repairs.
7. Demonstrates knowledge of instrument and equipment IFUs and processes instruments and interacts with equipment according to manufacturer guidelines.
8. Technical-- Demonstrates proficiency in reprocessing and maintenance of endoscopes and other endoscopic equipment per high-level disinfection (HLD) policy and manufacturer instructions (IFU). Maintain scope washers and washer adapters. Check detergent levels and effectiveness of disinfectant as per policy. Effectively communicates information regarding scope repairs, loaners, supplies and QI information by maintaining documentation of all actions.
9. Wears PPE as per policy.
10. Acts as primary preceptor
11. Serves as a leader for troubleshooting and quality improvement and assurance processes.
12. Maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing, and communicates effectively equipment failures and needed repairs.
13. Accurately records data in appropriate logs.
● High School diploma or equivalent.
● Certification from accredited program for instrument reprocessing required or equivalent experience.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of central sterile technician experience required with certification; or five years of central sterile technician experience required with no certification.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: UNCHCS
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Operating Room N CH Surg
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US: NC: Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.