Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 52351
Location: Smithfield, NC
Facility/Division: Johnston Health
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
To provide high level customer service and professional fitness and wellness guidance to our members and fellow staff members while serving as a role model for other staff.
1. Clinical Exercise Programming: The Exercise Specialist will be responsible for the oversight of the LiveFit Cancer exercise program including recruitment, marketing, implementation and evaluation of the program. They may be asked to serve as a backup in the Cardiac Rehab department for the Exercise Physiologists and perform duties such as developing exercise prescriptions, monitoring patients during daily exercise sessions, evaluating and modifying prescriptions as needed, recognizing potential medical problems and reporting them directly to MD or RN, recognizing risky situations and intervening to ensure patient safety. The Exercise Specialist will assist with developing additional clinical exercise programs such as Post Cardiac, Diabetes Intervention, Bariatrics and Transitional Programs for other chronic medical problems that can be improved through exercise.
2. Instruction: The Exercise Specialist will be responsible for developing the schedule for and conducting all new member equipment orientations by providing a wide array of times for members to attend. They will develop and implement member retention programs including follow up appointments to member orientations and contact new members to offer and educate them on our complementary orientations and evaluations. The Exercise Specialist will be responsible for developing the schedule for and conducting fitness clinics. They will need to develop topics on a regular basis considering safety, current fitness trends and member requests. The Exercise Specialist will be responsible for conducting trainings for Fitness Staff on current ACSM trends, latest research, safety, use of the FitLinxx Software System and new equipment. The Exercise Specialist will be trained on and assist with conducting Health Evaluations on a regular basis. The Exercise Specialist will be able to assist with Group Exercise classes and programs.
3. Member Incentive Programming: The Exercise Specialist will assist the Fitness Director in developing member incentive programs throughout the year and be responsible for reconciliation and evaluation of those programs. The Exercise Specialist will be responsible for the oversight and upkeep of current or future member engagement programs such as Workout of the Week, Weekly Fitness Challenge and Express Sessions and will assist in developing such programs. They will regularly assist with coaching and leading individuals and groups in programs such as Lose to Win, Healthiest You, and Weigh To Wellness.
4. Equipment Maintenance: The Exercise Specialist will assist the Fitness Director with maintenance and upkeep of the fitness equipment including conducting basic repairs. They will provide recommendations on current equipment trends to the Fitness Director and lead trainings for members and staff on the use of new equipment that is purchased for the facility. They will keep records of preventative maintenance tasks assigned to the Fitness Department staff and report to the Fitness Director of preventative maintenance and regular maintenance issues.
● Bachelor’s degree in fitness/wellness, recreation or related field.
● Nationally accredited health and fitness certification.
● Basic Life Support (BLS).
● Ability to obtain ACSM-Cancer Exercise Trainer Certification within three (3) months of hire or another commensurate cancer exercise related certification.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year working in adult fitness, hospital based fitness/wellness facility, or other clinical setting in the areas of fitness, wellness and/or personal training.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Johnston Health
Organization Unit: Cardiac Rehab
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 4.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Smithfield
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.