Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 48203
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Serves as a lead worker over a group of Medical Coders or designated to a specialty high impact team while maintaining a primary work assignment. Educates staff, provides problem resolution and performance information to supervisor. Employees report to a Supervisor but independently handles assigned tasks.
This Position is fully remote. We have employment opportunities available in the following states: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
1. Accurately assigns International Classification of Diseases 10-CM (ICD-10) diagnostic and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes with modifiers, and other applicable codes. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement, including coding denial resolution. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures. Uses appropriate software to validate information.
2. Provides information to physicians and other health care staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
3. Reviews, analyzes and abstracts provider documentation for diagnoses, procedures, ancillary testing, medications, laboratory and other services provided. Obtains missing information and/or clarifies existing documentation.
4. Independently manages high volumes of inventory within departmental standards.
5. Adheres to departmental quality and production standards.
6. Assigns and reviews work of staff. Researches and resolves problems referred by coders. Provides information on performance of coders to supervisor for performance.
7. Provides training and serves as a general resource to assist other coders and members of department staff.
8. Administrative responsibilities as designated by team leadership.
9. Acquires continuing education via UNC Physicians approved programs and vendors.
10. Maintains requires professional certification.
● High School diploma or GED
● Successful completion of the UNC HCS SS Rev Cycle Senior Physician Coder Proficiency Test.
● Must have one of the following: - AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification-AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) CCSP Certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Associates Degree or Higher: Three (3) years of experience in physician medical coding.
● If High School Diploma: Five (5) years of experience in physician medical coding.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Physician Rev Cycle Coding
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Health Care System, in a department that provides shared services to operations across UNC Health Care; except that, if you are currently a UNCHCS State employee already working in a designated shared services department, you may remain a UNCHCS State employee if selected for this job.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.