Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 53963
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: Health Alliance
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
UNC Health Alliance is UNC Health’s statewide clinically integrated network and population health services organization. The mission of this team is to transform healthcare delivery on behalf of more than 7,200 providers by offering patient-centered solutions to populations covered under alternative payment models. Joining this team means you will work closely with providers, practices, payers, business leaders, and community partners to improve the quality and accessibility of care while lowering the cost of care for patients, payers, and businesses. We are a growing team looking for top talent to help us with creative solutions that improve patient care and help make healthcare more affordable. Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Medical Assistant III provides administrative and clinical support for the Population Health Chronic Care Management (CCM) program. Works under the clinical supervision of the provider for patient care plan activities and collaborates with the embedded care management RN to support the patient’s needs. Monitors incoming requests for services, and routes appropriately based on established guidelines. Collaborates with patient’s PCP and RN to collect data, maintain, update care plans and provide feedback on patients' progress regarding the plan of care. Assists with patient outreach, care coordination services, education, and navigation of the health care system.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Provides patient outreach, implements appropriate evidence based guidelines, monitors care plan compliance, and removes barriers to success.
2. Collects patient and family data, including medical and social history.
3. Reviews patient’s current medication list, allergies and preferred pharmacy. Administers medications.
4. Reviews the patient record to determine whether patient requires any routine health screenings.
5. Participates in care team meetings, performance improvement and patient satisfaction initiatives. Reports issues and system barriers to ensure efficient and effective care management.
6. Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed.
7. Assists with patient registration, check in/check out, appointment scheduling, and scheduling of tests and treatments, and referrals. Answers clinic telephone and assists in-basket under the direction of a provider or nurse.
8. Assists in emergency situations as directed by a provider or nurse.
9. Assists the physician with maintaining preventive health measures for a panel of patients.
10. Maintains clinic quality databases or registries, such as immunization registry, immunization or medication registry.
11. Serves as subject matter expert and/or resource for departmental business unit, may include: Answering questions related to business unit; Resolving issues or complaints; Escalating issues to management that cannot be resolved by the team; Recommending suggestions for improvement.
12. Serves as communications point of contact, may include: Participating in scheduled staff meetings and/or huddles; Providing management with status updates regarding team activities; Disseminating information to team.
13. Provides leadership on policies, procedures, training, and education to include: Being fully knowledgeable of policies and able to educate others on necessary changes in practice; Acting as a role model and advocate for compliance with policies and procedures; Assessing staff training needs and working with supervisor on training and development programs; Assisting with dissemination of information, education, and outreach materials to supporting training and development efforts.
14. Serves as Referral Coordinator, Care Manager, or assists supervisor/manager/provider to maintain clinic patient flow. Proficient in advanced clinic procedures and/or clinical skills.
● Requires high school diploma or GED.
● Completion of a Medical Assisting program accredited by either the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accreditation Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is strongly preferred but not required.
● Requires Medical Assistant certification by either the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), National Health Career Association (CCMA), National Association of Health Professionals (NRCMA), or National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA).
● Basic Life Support Certification from American Heart Association required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires at least two years’ experience as a medical assistant.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
● Demonstrated ability to engage positively with patients and families and to work as a team with staff and providers.
● Ability to use a computer to document required information into the electronic medical record.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Health Alliance
Organization Unit: VECM
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.