Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 52542
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Nursing Assistant I + Clerical (Per Diem)/ Clinical Support Technician I (Per Diem) for Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit. This unit cares for patients with ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes, brain tumors, epilepsy, spine injury, neuromuscular illness, neurodegenerative illness, neurotrauma, and central nervous system infections. We also have the honor of being a Joint Commission Certified Stroke Center. We thrive in a challenging work environment that promotes critical thinking and unlimited learning opportunities.
The Clinical Support Tech I (Per Diem) is a dual role of the Nursing Assistant I and the Health Unit Coordinator.
This is a Per Diem/ at-will position requiring the ability to work a minimum of 12 hours every 2 weeks; Shifts are for rotating day & night, 12 hours (7am-7:30pm & 7pm-7:30am), with weekend and holiday rotation. Self-scheduling is used to meet the needs of the unit and the staff. Must be able to complete required hospital orientation (Monday through Thursday, 7:30am-5:00pm)
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Responsible for assisting the professional caregiver in the delivery of patient care, transporting patient and/or equipment, setting up and maintaining patient rooms and performing a wide range of clerical, transcription, and maintenance of the patient care unit desk area functions.
1. Assists physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies.
2. Critically reviews patient care documentation making note of any significant changes in the patient's condition and make an immediate report to a registered nurse or physician.
3. Provides a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to organizing and prioritizing workload, greeting and directing visitors, researching information as requested by nurses and physicians, reviewing orders for logic and clarity, revising orders as requested by the nurse, answering the telephone/ patient call lights, transcribing physician orders, and maintaining medical records. Performs routine quality assurance audits, safety checks, and inventory of supplies. Provides administrative and clerical support including PI audits and data entry.
4. Provides clinical support assistance to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, maintaining office equipment, troubleshooting common software and hardware problems, changing linens, checking supply inventory, re-stocking supplies, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, and assisting in the orientation of new employees and students.
5. Provides direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, assisting with ambulation. Measures and records vital signs, and patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage.
6. Reinforces routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers
● High School diploma or GED
● Listed as Nurse Aide I Registry with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of clerical or customer service experience and six (6) months of related nursing assistant experience, which may include a nursing assistant course or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Must be fluent in verbal and written English language. Capability to develop computer skills if not competent.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Neurosurgical ICU
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.