Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 53620
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Part Time
Shift: Day Job
Rex Digestive Health are seeking a Certified Medical Assistant to join their team. Our practice invests in our coworkers growth, and we like to build on your strengths. We are looking for an individual with a strong ability to work independently, as this role will not have an assigned provider. Instead, this individual will assist with coverage and additional administrative tasks as assigned by leadership. The day to day responsibilities when covering a provider consists of triaging/rooming in office patients, responding to messages that come into your Epic inbox, calling patients with results, patient education, procedure scheduling, and some prior authorizations. All areas of our practice are busy but working with a provider requires critical thinking and prioritization skills. When it comes to the administrative tasks that this CMA will be performing our leadership team will assess the skills of the person hired and assign tasks based on their strengths. The model we have for this CMA will be a good fit for someone that enjoys clinical work but, also has a passion for the administrative side of healthcare as well . If this sounds like something you may be interested in we would love to meet you! Work hours are Monday through Thursday 8am-5pm, and Friday 8am-1:30pm. There are no weekend or holiday hours, this is a great opportunity for someone seeker a better work/life balance!
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Medical Assistant I, Certified provides routine clinical and administrative support to providers and other health care team members in an outpatient clinic setting. The Medical Assistant I, Certified works under the clinical supervision of the provider for patient care activities, and under the general direction of the designated manager/supervisor for non-clinical responsibilities.
This position qualifies for a $5,000 commitment incentive paid out over 3 years. More information can be found here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-ma-commitment
1. Performs rooming and/or intake process, collecting and data, including vital signs, height, weight, and data related to patient’s reason for visit.
2. Collects patient and family data, including medical and social history.
3. Reviews patient’s current medication list, allergies and preferred pharmacy.
4. Assists the provider as directed, during treatments, examinations and procedures.
5. Collects specimens and performs phlebotomy.
6. Administers medications under the direction of a provider.
7. Performs tests, for examples EKG, eye exams, under the direction of a provider.
8. Reviews the patient record to determine whether patient requires any routine health screenings.
9. Ensures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms and educational materials are available and ready for use during visit/procedure.
10. Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed.
11. Prepares, cleans, stocks and maintains exam and treatment rooms.
12. Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
13. Assists with patient registration, check in/check out, appointment scheduling, and scheduling of tests and treatments, and referrals.
14. Answers clinic telephone and assists in-basket under the direction of a provider or nurse.
15. Assists in emergency situations as directed by a provider or nurse.
● Requires high school diploma or GED.
● Completion of a Medical Assisting program accredited by either the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accreditation Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is strongly preferred but not required.
● Requires Medical Assistant certification by either the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), National Health Career Association (CCMA), National Association of Health Professionals (NRCMA), or National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA).
● Basic Life Support Certification from American Heart Association required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Prior medical assistant or medical assistant externship experience preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to perform the essential functions of the position as outlined above.
● Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
● Demonstrated ability to engage positively with patients and families and to work as a team with staff and providers.
● Ability to use a computer to document required information into the electronic medical record.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Digestive Health
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 20.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.