Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 55868
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The UNC Health Care System (UNC Health) seeks an attorney to join its dedicated team of professionals in the challenging and rewarding role of Assistant General Counsel in the UNC Health Legal Department. As North Carolina’s public academic health system, UNC Health’s statutory mission is to improve the health and well-being of North Carolinians through leadership and excellence in patient care, education, and research.
Acting in partnership with and under the direction of senior attorneys and leaders, the Assistant General Counsel will support UNC Health’s mission by providing legal guidance and assistance to UNC Health and its affiliated entities in furtherance of UNC Health’s clinical and business strategies, goals, and operations. This role offers the opportunity to join a group of skilled attorneys, healthcare providers, and business professionals from a variety of backgrounds, all united by their dedication to working for the benefit of all of North Carolina and its diverse people and communities.
The ideal candidate for this position will be an individual who is motivated by UNC Health’s public mission and will have three to five years of experience in the full-time practice of law, with at least some of that experience in health law or in areas of practice that are critical to major hospitals, physician practices, and health systems. This position does not involve legal services associated with medical malpractice claims. Qualified candidates must be members of the North Carolina bar, or able to become a member within the first year of employment.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Serves as a resource to the Chief Legal Officer, Deputy General Counsels, and Associate General Counsels in the UNC Health Legal Department on all legal matters affecting UNC Health and its affiliates, including the scope of operations described in N.C.G.S. 116-37 and the affiliation with UNC-Chapel Hill and the UNC School of Medicine.
2. Acting under the general supervision of senior attorneys, provides legal guidance and assistance in general health law matters, which may include but are not limited to the following:
3. Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations, presents ideas in clear, concise and organized manner, and knows when to use written rather than oral communications. Keeps abreast of legal developments in areas of law as assigned, understands operational needs and practicalities, and places problems in context. Identifies and focuses on appropriate issues, seeks available information and facts and makes good logical decisions, thinks independently and consults with others as appropriate. Anticipates potential impacts of a decision or deals with problems arising from a decision.
4. Assists the Chief Legal Officer and the Deputy General Counsels in promoting efficiency of the legal department by preparing templates, forms, outlines, instructional materials, and other tools and resources. As directed, assists in identifying technology solutions that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Legal Department. Serves on boards, committees, and work groups as assigned.
● Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited school of law.
● License to practice law in the state of North Carolina or be able to obtain a valid NC license to practice law within a year of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required, 2-5 years experience preferred.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Legal Office
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Health Care System, in a department that provides shared services to operations across UNC Health Care; except that, if you are currently a UNCHCS State employee already working in a designated shared services department, you may remain a UNCHCS State employee if selected for this job.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
UNC Health and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.