Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 53626
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The nurse midwife is an advanced practice nurse who is responsible for the assessment, plan, implementation and evaluation of nurse midwifery care delivered to antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum, and newborn patients. The midwife performs physical exams, collects and documents data, manages labor and spontaneous delivery, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, and prescribes appropriate interventions and medications.
1. Works in collaboration with the supervising physician to provide primary health care services within the scope of the licensed Nurse Practitioner. Maintains compliance with the Collaborative Practice Agreement, including drugs, devices, medical treatments, tests and procedures that may be prescribed, ordered and performed by the Nurse Practitioner.
2. Obtains patient histories, performs complete or problem focused exams, and orders diagnostic tests and treatments. Evaluates findings to formulate an integrated plan of care, and documents care provided in the patient's medical record.
3. Prescribes appropriate pharmaceuticals in compliance with the standards established in the Prescribing Authority by the NCBON.
4. Provides guidance and counseling to patients and families. Provide patient and family education related to prenatal, intrapartum, postpartum, newborn and interconceptional care.
5. Participates in quality improvement activities including ongoing review of care provided through regularly scheduled meetings with the supervising physician at least every six months, and annual review of the Collaborative Practice Agreement. Plans for and identifies situations beyond the Nurse Practitioner's expertise, and consults with and refers to other health care providers as appropriate.
6. Ensures compliance with established safety and regulatory guidelines, including HIPAA, CLIA, OSHA, and infection prevention policies and procedures.
7. Demonstrates good customer service skills when interacting with patients, families, and visitors. Demonstrates effective communication skills and team work.
8. Provide direct clinical services and management of mothers and babies as defined in the standing orders, policies, procedures and protocols for the certified nurse midwife.
● MSN Required.
● Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. Certification as a Nurse Midwife is required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three years of nursing experience in a clinical setting.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNC OB-GYN at Weaver Crossing
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.