Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Job ID: 52579
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
RN Clinical Nurse II - New to OR Program - Medical Center-Anticipated start date July, 2023
A cover letter attached to your application is encouraged.
This NTOR program is a 6-month curriculum utilizing AORN’s PeriOp 101, didactic classroom instruction, simulation lab practice, and hands on clinical preceptorship. In addition to the daily schedule, expectations will include completion of all modules, homework, evaluations, and achieving a passing score on the final exam. Each nurse will spend time on the main campus for class and simulations and will participate in clinical at their home facility.
You can expect to spend intensive training/clinical time the first 10 weeks and will then rotate through multiple specialty services at your home site before graduation from the program learning both the circulating and/or scrub roles (dependent on location). Specialty team assignments are congruent with individual preference and team fit. Orientation schedules are subject to adjustment per student or department request. You can expect to work on complex cases with a team of passionate and collegial OR professionals, utilizing the best patient care models.
UNC Hospitals has earned the distinguished Magnet designation that recognizes nurses for their excellence and provides professional growth opportunities. UNC Chapel Hill Main Campus is a level one trauma academic facility and includes 26 operating rooms. It is a very fast-paced environment offering multiple service lines. We are proud to be on the cutting edge of technology for a number of surgical procedures. Our specialty procedures include cochlear implants, organ transplants, bariatric procedures, open-heart surgeries, ECMO, endovascular surgeries, flap reconstructive surgeries, stereotactic and image guided neuro surgeries, da Vinci® robotic surgeries, and Hyperthermia Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) just to name a few. UNCH is also a regional burn center. In Fiscal Year 2018 there were 35,831 cases completed in our division. We have dedicated Pediatric Operating Rooms and perform 5,000 cases per year. Our service lines include general surgery, orthopedics, neurosurgery, plastics, ENT, OMF, burn and urology. UNC is one of the two verified Burn Centers in NC and the only designated Level 1 Trauma in the Triangle. You can expect to work on complex cases with a drive team of passionate and collegial OR professionals, utilizing the best patient care models. We have the distinguished Magnet designation and that recognizes nurses for their excellence and provide professional growth opportunities.
Since our OR's are open 24/7, we have a variety of scheduling options with some call required. Our orientation is extensive lasting up to 8 weeks depending on your own experience. Hours: 7am - 5:30pm w call 40hr/week which qualifies you for a generous benefit package, Flexible scheduling to help maintain work/life balance. The locations after completion of the program will be the Main Campus OR, Children's OR, Ambulatory Surgery Center or at the Hillsborough Campus OR.
There are a number of specialty teams available and primary shifts are 7a-530p. Weekend, Holiday, and call coverage is an expectation and a 40 minute response time is required.
Duties will include scrubbing and circulating roles. Clinical ladder is available for advancement.
*This position qualifies for our UNC Hospitals RN Incentive Program, which includes up to $20,000 commitment incentive, and also eligible for up to $10,000 in relocation assistance (based on location).
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides competent clinical nursing care consistent with professional standards. Reporting and accountable to the Nurse Manager/Director, the Clinical Nurse is responsible for coordinating and delivering patient care utilizing the nursing process in a hospital setting.
1. Education - Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. With assistance, uses patient education materials relevant to patient population. Assesses readiness to learn of the patient/family/caregivers. Assesses developmental level of patient and factors affecting ability to learn.
2. Evaluation of Care - Identifies expected patient outcomes. Seeks guidance as needed in revision of plan of care. Participates in discussion with members of the interdisciplinary team in evaluation of patient care. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care.
3. Implementation - Demonstrates competence in care of patients with complex problems, including population-appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan. Utilizes healthcare organization and nursing standards, policies and procedures in delivery of care. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion regarding patients with complex care issues, unusual teaching needs and/or those at high risk for discharge planning.
4. Leadership - With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. Participates in promoting cost-effective care. Gives feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean and secure hospital environment for all.
5. Patient Assessment - Recognizes data from complex situations to determine priorities for care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates discharge needs of individual patients and families. Develops relationships with families that promote their ability to advocate for the patient and their own needs.
6. Planning - Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Begins to use full range of communication as a means to convey planning. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
7. Research - Reads journals that contain studies or articles that may be applicable to practice. Brings ideas and questions to the staff at large for assessment of applicability.
● Graduation from a school of professional nursing.
● If hired after January 6, 2014, must be enrolled within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
● Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● One (1) year of nursing experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Support Services
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [email protected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.